Spore Hero Arena
Spore Hero Arena is a Nintendo DS spin-off of Spore Hero which was released in North America on October 6, 2009, and worldwide on October 8. This game is the second Spore game for the Nintendo DS, and improved from its predecessor with its new 3D graphics, and creature creation system. The online functions/multiplayer were closed on 30 June 2014.
Spore Hero Arena allows the player to move around an overworld with slight exploring and puzzling. On each planet there are four blue shards to collect by doing certain missions or jobs assigned the player by the creatures that inhabit that world. These missions can vary from being a bodyguard, racing, and of course, arena battles. Once the player gets all four you can turn them into a specific creature at the front of the champion's arena. The player's job is to go in and fight the champion to get the evil red fragments. Players control their creature via touchscreen and attack by using the D pad or the A, B, X, Y buttons (note, there is an option to have the d-pad control movement, and is not recommended for race challenges due to the limits at the time.) . The player can only have three different kinds of bio powers (special attacks) equipped at once. Players get to these by the L or R buttons and tapping which one they want to use with a stylus. When you get into the arena there are different kinds of battles to face. There is capture the egg (capture the flag), Battle Royale, where they fight to knock their opponents off of the arena a certain amount of times and many more. While the player does have a health bar, it is similar to Super Smash Bros. as it only controls knock-back when pushed (A)
IGN panned Spore Hero Arena with a 3.8 out of 10 review.
Other Games/Expansion Packs
- Spore Creature Creator (2008, PC) – The creature creator element of Spore, released prior to the full game.
- Spore (2008, PC)
- Spore Creatures (2008, DS)
- Spore Origins (2008, Mobile phone)
- Spore Hero (2009, Wii)
- Spore Hero Arena (2009, DS)
- Darkspore (2011, PC)
- Spore Creature Keeper (Cancelled, PC)
- Sporedum (2009-09-19). "Spore Hero Arena and Spore Hero Release Dates". Sporedum. Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- "Spore (PC) Reviews – MetaCritic". MetaCritic. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- "Spore Hero Arena Review". IGN UK. 2008-10-22. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- Dobson, Jason (May 12, 2009). "EA officially details Spore Hero, Spore Hero Arena". joystiq.com. Retrieved 2009-06-07.