Sport Newspapers was the English publishing firm responsible for The Daily Sport, Sunday Sport and a number of mid-shelf and top shelf magazine titles such as Adult Sport, Sport Babes, Sport Reader's Wives and Ladsmag. It was founded in 1986 by David Sullivan to launch the Sunday Sport newspaper. The company offices were in Manchester, England.
An attempt was made to publish a weekly version in Eire called the Irish Weekly Sport but its soft porn triviality proved unpopular within the Republic.
On Friday 1 April 2011 the holding company for the firm, Sport Media Group Plc, announced that it had ceased trading, and the company was broken up by administrators.
Sullivan acquired the rights to some of Sport newspapers and now publishes the Midweek Sport (Wednesdays), Weekend Sport (Fridays) and Sunday Sport, through his new company (also based in Manchester) Sunday Sport (2011) Limited.
Sport Newspapers Limited and majority executive shareholder Duncan Williams is today primarily focused on developing realtime digital media brands, most particularly within the betting and gaming sector.
- Sunday Sport, British Newspapers Online. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Daily Sport (defunct), British Newspapers Online. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Porn baron closes Irish 'Sunday Sport' as sales here fail to stiffen - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- "Front due to return under Flip Media". Media Week - Brand Republic. 20 February 2007. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Mark Sweney (11 June 2013). "David Sullivan paid just £50,000 for Sunday Sport | Media | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. UK. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- James Robinson; Mark Sweney (10 August 2011). "David Sullivan could launch Friday edition of Daily Sport | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. UK. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Sundaysport.com the official Sunday Sport, Midweek Sport and Weekend Sport website.
- Dailysport.co.uk the official Daily Sport website.
- Dailysport.mobi the official Daily Sport WAP site.
|This article about an English company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|