Sport in Thailand
This article presents an overview of the Sports in Thailand.
- 1 Types of sports
- 2 Sport League in Thailand
- 3 Multi-sport event
- 4 See also
- 5 References
Types of sports
Football has possibly overtaken Muayma Thai as the most widely followed sport in contemporary Thai society. Thailand national football team has played the AFC Asian Cup six times and reached the semifinals in 1972. The country has hosted the Asian Cup twice, in 1972 and in 2007. The 2007 edition was co-hosted together with Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam. It is not uncommon to see Thais cheering their favouirite English Premier League teams on television and walking around in replica kit. Another widely enjoyed pastime, and once a competitive sport, is kite flying.
Thailand has been called the golf capital of Asia as it is a popular destination for golf. The country attracts a large number of golfers from Japan, Korea, Singapore, South Africa, and Western countries who come to play golf in Thailand every year. The growing popularity of golf, especially among the middle classes and expats, is evident as there are more than 200 world-class golf courses nationwide, and some of them are chosen to host PGA and LPGA tournaments, such as Amata Spring Country Club, Alpine Golf and Sports Club, Thai Country Club, and Black Mountain Golf Club.
Thai martial arts
Especially since the emergence of Birabongse Bhanudej, Motorsport has received a recent revival and become a popular sport in Thailand.
- Auto racing
- Motorcycle sport
- Made in Thailand E-sport
- Bangkok Titans
- Definite Gaming
- Signature Gaming
- Neolution E-Sport
- BG.Neolution Esport FIFA
- Buriram United Esports
Sport League in Thailand
Top Level Leagues
- Thai League 1
- Thai Women's League
- Futsal Thai League
- The Championship Women's Futsal
- Men's Volleyball Thailand League
- Women's Volleyball Thailand League
- Thailand Basketball League
- Women's Thailand Basketball League
- Thai World Hockey League
- Thailand Hockey League
- Takraw Thailand League
- Thailand Cricket League
- Softball Thailand League
- Thailand Baseball League (defunct)
- Water polo Thailand League
- Badminton Thai Premier League
- Muay Thai League
- Thailand Youth League - Football Youth Leagues
- Thailand University League - Football University Leagues
- Thailand Futsal University League - Futsal University Leagues
- Volleyball Academy League - Volleyball Youth Leagues
- Thailand Volleyball University League - Volleyball University Leagues
- Thailand Basketball University League - Basketball University Leagues
- THL U-League - Ice hockey University Leagues
Thailand National Games
Thailand National Para Games
Thailand National Youth Games
Thailand University Games
Thailand National Student Games
Thailand National Student Para Games
- "Golf in Thailand by". Golfasia.com. Retrieved 25 April 2010.
- Chawadee Nualkhair (10 July 2009). "Thailand woos foreign golfers with sun, sand traps". Reuters. Retrieved 25 April 2010.
- "Why to book with golf2thailand.com : Thailand Golf Courses Thailand Golf Packages". Golf2thailand.com. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2010.