Sporting CP B
|Full name||Sporting Clube de Portugal B|
Verde-e-Brancos (Green and Whites)
|Short name||Sporting B|
|President||Bruno de Carvalho|
|League||Campeonato de Portugal|
|2017–18||LigaPro, 18th (relegated)|
Sporting Clube de Portugal B was the reserve team of Portuguese football club Sporting CP, a team based in Lisbon. Reserve teams in Portugal play in the same league system as the senior team, rather than in a reserve team league. However, they cannot play in the same division as their senior team, so Sporting B was ineligible for promotion to the Primeira Liga and could not play in the Taça de Portugal and Taça da Liga.
Sporting had a B team until the 2003–04 season, and refounded it in 2012–13, when a new set of rules regarding B teams was introduced in Portuguese football system. In that season, another five B-teams were refounded and entered into Segunda Liga. After being announced the end of the team due to the creation of a sub-23 championship, they were relegated to the Campeonato de Portugal in the 2017–18 season.
The team played at the Aurélio Pereira Stadium in the Academia Sporting which holds a seating capacity of 1,200.
After being announced the creation of an under-23 championship, Bruno de Carvalho announced the end of Sporting CP B, which finished the league on 18th, a relegation position. After the dismissal of Carvalho, Sousa Cintra reverted the former's decision, subscribing the reserve team to the new season on Campeonato de Portugal (Portuguese football's third tier), but he later gave up, with Santa Iria replacing Sporting CP B.
Prior to the end of the 2011–12 football season in Portugal, seven clubs in the Primeira Liga announced their interest in constructing a B team to fill the six vacant places available to compete in the Segunda Liga for the 2012–13 season. Of those seven, five clubs were selected to take part in the competition considering their position on 2011–12 Primeira Liga, as well as Marítimo, since they had already a B team competing.
The LPFP who organizes the professional football tiers in Portugal announced that for the clubs to compete in the 2012–13 Segunda Liga they would have to pay 50,000 €. In addition the LPFP would also require the clubs to follow new rules regarding player selection in which each 'B' team must have a squad of a minimum of ten players who were formed at the club's academy as well as having an age requirement between 15 and 21 years old. The LPFP also went on to saw that the clubs are unable to compete in cup competitions as well as gaining promotion due to the possibility of playing the senior team. Each 'B' team may have three players above 23-years old.
In late May 2012, it was officially announced that the six Primeira Liga clubs' B teams would compete in the 2012–13 Segunda Liga which would increase the number of teams in the league from 16 to 22 as well as increasing the number of games needed to play in one season from 30 games to 42 games.
|II – II Liga; 2ª B – 2nd Division B/Campeonato Nacional;|
- Vítor Damas (2000–2001)
- Jean Paul Castro (2001–2002)
- Luís Alegria (2002–2003)
- Jean Paul Castro (2003–2004)
- Oceano da Cruz (July 2012 – Oct 2012)
- José Dominguez (Oct 2012 – June 2013)
- Abel Ferreira (July 2013 – July 2014)
- Francisco Barão (July 2014 – Oct 2014)
- João de Deus (Oct 2014– 2017 )
- Group, Global Media (2018-03-07). "Sporting B vai deixar a II Liga". DN (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Sporting: equipa B continua e joga Campeonato de Portugal | Maisfutebol.iol.pt". Maisfutebol (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Group, Global Media (2018-07-16). "Santa Iria substitui o Sporting B no Campeonato de Portugal". O Jogo (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- "Sete clubes interessados nas seis vagas para equipas B" [Seven clubs interested for the six vacancies for the B teams]. Relvado. 17 February 2012. Archived from the original on 20 April 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Equipas B de FC Porto, Benfica e Sporting confirmadas" [B teams of FC Porto, Benfica and Sporting have been confirmed]. Relvado. 28 May 2012. Archived from the original on 20 April 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Equipas B custam 50 mil euros de inscrição" [B Team's registration costs 50,000 €]. O Jogo. 21 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Liga: seis clubes inscreveram a equipa "B"" [League: six clubs register for a B team]. Mais Futebol. 28 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.