SportsNation (TV series)
Marcellus Wiley (2013–present)
LZ Granderson (2017–present)
Cari Champion (2018-present)
Michelle Beadle (2009–2012; 2014–2018)
Colin Cowherd (2009–2012)
Charissa Thompson (2012–2013)
Max Kellerman (2013–2016)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||1,456|
|Location(s)||Los Angeles, California|
|Running time||30 minutes (occasionally 60)|
|Original network||ESPN2 (2009–2016)
|Original release||July 6, 2009 – present|
SportsNation is a sports-related television program that airs on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNews. The series is based on SportsNation, the fan forum and poll section of ESPN.com. The show is typically 60% material generated or suggested by fans, including videos from the Internet, athlete tweets, and online polling. The show had aired in occasional segments on ESPN and ESPN2 before becoming a fixture of ESPN's weekday afternoon block in February 2016.
As of 2018, the SportsNation hosts are Cari Champion, Marcellus Wiley and LZ Granderson and is produced at ESPN's Los Angeles studios.From July 6, 2009 until December 20, 2012, SportsNation was taped at ESPN's world headquarters in Bristol, Connecticut. The initial hosts were Colin Cowherd, who hosts the Fox Sports Radio morning program The Herd with Colin Cowherd, and Michelle Beadle, who joined ESPN from the YES Network. On June 1, 2012, Beadle left to join the NBC family of networks as a sports and entertainment contributor and was replaced by Numbers Never Lie host Charissa Thompson. Cowherd announced his departure from SportsNation in September 2012 to focus more on his radio work (and possibly because he did not want to make the move across the country; ESPN Radio does not have a west-coast base of operations), and his final episode aired on December 21, 2012. Wiley, who is a contributor to various programs on ESPN and who is based in Los Angeles, was announced as his replacement. On March 3, 2014, Beadle returned to SportsNation.
College football edition
In September 2010, a college football-centric edition of SportsNation premiered on ESPNU. The program airs at 10 AM every Saturday during the college football regular season and (as of 2012) is hosted by Cassidy Hubbarth and Christian Fauria.
The average audience of SportsNation is very young (13–25 years) compared to other ESPN programming. ESPN noted that the show's target audience is college students, men in their 20s, and teenage boys. These are demographics ESPN has been struggling to capture in years past. The average age of the typical audience for SportsNation is 30, according to creator Jamie Horowitz.
- http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/07/04/2009-07-04_fans_rule_on_espns_sportsnation.html Fans rule on ESPN2's 'SportsNation'
- http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/firstcuts/entry/view/28055/ESPN%27s_SportsNation:_About_What_You%27d_Expect/28055[permanent dead link] The Sporting News:ESPN's SportsNation: About What You'd Expect
- Cari Champion to make SportsNation debut March 12 - ESPN Media Zone
- http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/07/max-kellerman-joins-espn2s-first-take-july-25/ Max Kellerman Joins ESPN2's 'FirstTake' July 25
- "Michelle Beadle teared up while saying goodbye to SportsNation". For The Win. 2018-02-09. Retrieved 2018-02-10.