|Headquarters||St Albans, Hertfordshire, UK|
|Jonathan Hufford Managing Director|
|Products||• Financial spread betting |
• Sports spread betting
• Fixed-odds betting
Number of employees
Spreadex commenced trading in 1999 in Dunstable, Bedfordshire. It was founded by former City dealer Jonathan Hufford with the intention of making spread betting more accessible. The business relocated to St Albans, Hertfordshire in February 2008.
In May 2006, Spreadex launched an online sports betting service and soon after launched a financial online trading platform. In May 2010, the company launched a fixed odds sports betting service allowing bets to be placed in both fractional and decimal format.
Spreadex was listed in the Sunday Times PriceWaterhouseCoopers Profit Track 100 for three years in succession. In 2006, Spreadex finished 34th; in 2007, they finished 23rd, and in 2008, they finished in 49th place.
In June 2011, Spreadex acquired the client database of extrabet, the sports betting arm of IG Group. This was followed in January 2012 by the purchase of the client database of bankrupt company MF Global Spreads, and by the purchase of the non-equities business of rival spread betting firm Cantor Index in March 2013.
In March 2013, Spreadex released its new financial fixed odds markets, also referred to as "Speed Markets", allowing clients to place fixed risk bets on financial markets.
Spreadex reported for the year ending 31 May 2016 that turnover had increased from £40.5 million to £50.3 million and pre-tax profits rose from £22 million to £27.1 million.
Spreadex takes bets via telephone, mobile, and their website.
Spreadex owns financial spread betting company (www.shortsandlongs.com) which was launched in October 2008. The client database of ShortsandLongs was transferred to Spreadex in March 2012 to consolidate its business.
- Spreadex Website - Company History
- City AM Schoolboy bookie who turned spread betting evangelist
- St Albans Review - Growing betting firm choses St Albans
- Spreadex Launch fixed odds
- Spreadex 34th in Profit Track 100
- Spreadex 23rd in Profit Track 100
- Spreadex 49th in Profit Track 100
- Yahoo finance! Spreadex Acquires extrabet Customers
- Spreadex acquires Cantor Index clients
- Spreadex Debuts Online Casino
- Spreadex Speed Market information page
- This is Money: Spreadex Turnover Soars
- Spreadex moves to St Albans
- ShortsandLongs transferred to Spreadex
- Spreadex Betview 2011 Awards