Spring Creek Dam (New South Wales)
|Spring Creek Dam|
Spring Creek Reservoir at very low level, 2008.
Location of Spring Creek Dam in
New South Wales
|Location||Orange, New South Wales|
|Construction began||December 1929|
|Owner(s)||Orange City Council|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment dam|
|Height||17 metres (56 ft)|
|Length||268 metres (879 ft)|
|Spillway capacity||310 cubic metres per second (11,000 cu ft/s)|
|Creates||Spring Creek Reservoir|
|Total capacity||4,680 megalitres (165×106 cu ft)|
|Catchment area||63 square kilometres (24 sq mi)|
|Surface area||11 hectares (27 acres)|
|Max. length||2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi)|
|Max. width||350 metres (1,150 ft)|
Spring Creek Dam is a minor embankment dam across the Spring Creek upstream of Orange in the central western region of New South Wales, Australia. The impounded reservoir is called the Spring Creek Reservoir.
Location and features
Commenced in December 1929 and completed in 1931, the Spring Creek Dam is a minor dam on the Spring Creek, located approximately 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) south-east of the city of Orange; constructed by NSW Department of Public Works on behalf of the Orange City Council as the main water supply for Orange. Additional dams for water supply were completed in 1918 at Meadow Creek Dam and the Gosling Creek Dam in 1890. Since the construction of Suma Park Dam, completed in 1962, Spring Creek Dam has served as the secondary water supply for the city.
The embankment dam wall is 17 metres (56 ft) high and is 268 metres (879 ft) long. At 100% capacity the dam wall holds back 4,680 megalitres (165×106 cu ft) of water. The surface area of Spring Creek Reservoir is 11 hectares (27 acres) and the catchment area is 63 square kilometres (24 sq mi). The spillway is capable of discharging 310 cubic metres per second (11,000 cu ft/s).
Recently Orange City Council has strengthened the dam wall. Kinross Wolaroi School also uses the dam for the sport of rowing.
- Orange City Library; Orange District Historical Society (20 October 2010). "Our most precious resource". Central Western Daily. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Spring Creek Dam". Orange water security. Orange City Council. 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Register of Large Dams in Australia" (Excel (requires download)). Dams information. The Australian National Committee on Large Dams Incorporated. 2010. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Macquarie-Bogan River catchment" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.
- General Manager (3 December 2007). "Plan of Management for Spring Creek Reservoir" (.PDF). Orange City Council. Retrieved 2009-09-24.[dead link]