Spring Farm, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Springs Lake in Spring Farm
|Population||4,307 (2016 census)|
|Location||60 km (37 mi) from Sydney CBD|
Spring Farm is a suburb of the Macarthur Region of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia in Camden Council. It is on the east side of the Nepean River. Until recently, it was mainly farmland with a winery, an electricity substation and the Spring Farm Advanced Resource Recovery Facility, but it is currently in the process of suburban redevelopment.
The area now known as Spring Farm was probably originally home to the Tharawal people, based in the Illawarra region, although the Western Sydney-based Darug people and the Southern Highlands-based Gandangara people were also known to have inhabited the greater Camden area. Very early relations with British settlers were cordial but as farmers started clearing and fencing the land affecting food resources in the area, clashes between the groups arose until 1816 when a number of indigenous people were massacred and the remainder retreated from direct conflict with the settlers.
In 1805, wool pioneer John Macarthur, was granted 5,000 acres (20 km²) at Cowpastures. After the land was cleared, it was used for farming for most of the next 200 years until Sydney's suburban sprawl reached the town of Camden and the farmland was subdivided into housing blocks.
Springs Lake is a man made lake in Spring Farm with a timber boardwalk, and picnic facilities.
Spring Farm Dog Park
Spring Farm lies in the south ward of Camden Council, currently represented by Debby Dewbery, Eva Campbell and Greg Copeland. The suburb is contained within the federal electorate of Division of Hume, represented by Angus Taylor (Liberal), and the state electorate of Camden, currently held by Chris Patterson (Liberal).
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Spring Farm (NSW)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "The History of Camden". Camden Historical Society. Archived from the original on 3 April 2007. Retrieved 14 June 2007.
- "Camden Bypass Narellan". Camden Bypass Narellan - Sydney West - Projects. Roads and Maritime Services.
- "Campbelltown and Camden bus network map" (PDF). Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- "Masterplan". Spring Farm Riverside. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Camden council opens new dog park at Spring Farm". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "New dog park for Camden Council". Dogs Life. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "Contact us". Spring Farm Public School. Retrieved 17 June 2017.