This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||1979 (first Spring Harvest festival)
2008 (company incorporated as eternalfx)
2009 (Memralife Group)2017 (company rebranded as Essential Christian)
|Founder||Clive Calver, Peter Meadows|
|Type||Company limited by guarantee|
|Focus||To serve and enable the Church and to equip and inspire individuals in the Christian faith to live as disciples of Jesus Christ|
|Method||Conferences, events, resources, financial grants|
|Rt Rev Pete Broadbent (Chair)|
Rev Dr Ian White (Vice Chair)
Peter Martin (CEO)
Gavin Calver (Chair of the event planning group)
Spring Harvest exists to 'equip the Church for action' through a range of events, conferences, books and resources. The tone is generally evangelical with modern worship music, workshops and Bible study groups. The programme offers different streams for age groups such as children, young people, families, adults, etc. The organisation also runs a number of events, conferences and courses and produces a range of resources.
First held in 1979 as a one-week one-site event at Prestatyn, Spring Harvest rapidly evolved and is now held at Butlins resorts in Minehead and Skegness every year - with the addition of one week at Harrogate in 2018.
The format for 2010 changed to five 'event-weeks' each consisting of six days (five nights) - three event-weeks at Minehead and two at Skegness - one week fewer than in 2009. This pattern remained for 2011, with approximately 28,000 people attending over these five event-weeks, including day visitors. Then in 2012 and 2013 whilst the three Minehead weeks were retained there was only one Skegness week. In 2014 three of the four weeks available were reduced by one day. In 2017, the three weeks held in Minehead were reduced to just two, with one being shorter than the other by one day, and one week in Skegness remaining the same.
The Spring Harvest programme will be held in Harrogate again in 2019, alongside both Butlin’s Minehead and Skegness Resorts. This new venue is expected to be continually used for the foreseeable future, and it is thought that the Essentail Christian Brand will be hosting the event in new sites as guest capacity demands increase.
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (March 2013)
Location and attendance
- 1979: The first Spring Harvest event at Prestatyn, North Wales with 2,701 attending.
- 1986: For the first time Spring Harvest took place at two locations in the UK: three weeks in Prestatyn, and two weeks in Butlins Minehead.
- 1987: Spring Harvest met at Skegness for the first time.
- 1988: At the 10th Spring Harvest, the attendance was over 50,000 mark.
- 1989: Spring Harvest expanded to three locations, opening up a new Centre at Butlin's Ayr, Scotland.
- 1994: Over 70,000 Christians attended Spring Harvest at its four locations in Ayr, Minehead, Pwllheli and Skegness.
- 2008: Spring Harvest Main Event take place over five weeks across the Skegness and Minehead sites, to accommodate the varied times of UK schools' Easter holidays.
- 2018: The programme took place at the Harrogate Convention Centre for the first time.
Main event annual themes
Each year's main event has a teaching theme.
- 2019 : Unlimited; When you pray...
- 2018 : Only The Brave
- 2017 : One For All
- 2016 : Gamechangers
- 2015 : Immeasurably More
- 2014 : Unbelievable
- 2013 : The Source - Encountering Jesus Today
- 2012 : Church Actually - God's Brilliant Idea
- 2011 : Route 66 - Biblical direction for the road we travel
- 2010 : Different Eyes - Living distinctively in a time of uncertainty
- 2009 : Apprentice = Walking the way of Christ
- 2008 : One Hope
- 2007 : One People
- 2006 : One God : (The first event in a series of Three [THE BIG STORY])
- 2005 : Sing the Lord's Song in a Strange Land
- 2004 : Grace Academy : Losing to Win.
- 2003 : Shepherd's Bush to King's Cross: Your connection to the mission of God.
- 2002 : You've Got Mail : Jesus writes to His Church - Looking at the seven churches in the Book of Revelation.
- 2001 : King of the Hill : looking at the Sermon on the Mount.
- 2000 : A Royal Banquet : The inspiration for the Millennium - Looking at John's Gospel.
- 1999 : Past Imperfect Future Tense
- 1998 : Across the border line
- 1997 : Solid Rock : The Ten Commandments.
- 1996 : Beyond Belief
- 1995 : Take off your shoes
- 1994 : Dancing in the dark
- 1993 : Living on the edge
- 1992 : Meanwhile, back at the cross
- 1991 : Shaken but not Stirred
- 1990 : Uncage the Lion
- 1989 : Deckchairs on the Titanic : What influences the church today.
- 1988 : Who's pulling your strings : Looking at the forces and pressures which influence the world.
- 1987 : Where Truth and Justice Meet
- 1986 : This is your God
- 1985 : Lights to the World
- 1984 : The Servant King
- 1983 : The Power and the Glory
- In Week 2 at Minehead in 2003, Spring Harvest was featured on the BBC programme Songs of Praise. The first 'week' (week 1), still in Minehead, Spring Harvest was featured on both local and national news as a sickness bug spread rapidly around the event.
- In Week 3 at Minehead in 2006, the BBC returned to pre-record a Pentecost edition of Songs of Praise, and also to transmit a live Easter morning service from the event.
- Spring Harvest has also featured in other media, including BBC radio, and also regularly in Christian media.
- One for All: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2017.
- Game Changers: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2016
- New Songs for the church, 2016
- Kids Praise Party Megamix, 2016
- Little Kids Praise Party Megamix, 2016
- Immeasurably More: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2015
- New Songs for the Church, 2015
- Newsongs For Kids: 12 Fresh New Songs For Kids' Worship, 2015
- The Big Start Boxset, 2015
- Unbelievable: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2014
- New Songs For Unbelievable Worship - Spring Harvest, 2014
- Spring Harvest Presents The Big Start 3, 2014
- Your Great Grace: 30 Worship Anthems Of Grace, Mercy & Justice, 2014
- Kids Praise Party 2, 2014
- Bottled At The Source: Live Worship From Spring Harvest, 2013
- The Source: 22 New Songs For The Church, 2013
- Spring Harvest Presents The Big Start 2, 2013
- Live Worship Actually: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2012
- Acoustic Worship 2, 2012
- Favourite Worship Songs From The Big Start, 2012
- Fresh: New Songs For The Church, 2012
- Pre-School Praise Boxset 1-3, 2012
- Pre-School Praise Boxset 4-6, 2012
- Kids Praise Party, 2012
- Route 66: Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2011
- Route 66: New Songs, 2011
- 20 More New Songs For The Church, 2011
- Pre-School Praise 6, 2011
- Kids Praise Party 6: C'mon Everybody
- Through Different Eyes - Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2010
- Glory - Spring Harvest New Songs, 2010
- Kids Praise Party: Celebrate God, 2010
- Moments Of Contemplation, 2010
- Pre-School Praise 5, 2010
- Through Different Eyes, 2010
- Acoustic Worship, 2010
- Moments Of Wonder, 2010
- He Is Risen! Indeed: Celebrating Jesus From The Big Top, 2010
- Kids Praise Party Box Set, 2010
- Journey: Walking The Way Of Christ - Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2009
- Perfect Sacrifice: 20 New Songs For The Church, 2009
- Pre-School Praise 4, 2009
- Kids Praise Party: We Wanna Be Like Jesus, 2009
- One Hope - Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2008
- Wonderful Saviour: 20 New Songs For Spring Harvest, 2008
- Moments Of Devotion: 12 Classic Instrumental Worship Songs, 2008
- He Is Risen: Easter Classics From The Big Top, 2008
- The Kids Colossal Jumbo Boxset, 2008
- Pre-School Praise 3, 2008
- Kids Praise Party 3, 2008
- One People Unified In Worship -Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2007
- Shine: 20 New Songs For Spring Harvest, 2007
- How Sweet The Sound, 2007
- Pre-School Praise 2, 2007
- Kids Praise Party 2, 2007
- One God - Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2006
- Our God Reigns - Spring Harvest New Songs, 2006
- iScape: No One Like You, 2006
- Pre-School Praise 1, 2006
- Kids Praise Party 1, 2006
- Essence Of Praise & Worship...live! Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2005
- Sing: New Songs, 2005
- Distinctive Sounds: Glory, 2005
- Little Kids Praise 2005/06, 2005
- Kids Praise 2005/06, 2005
- Spring Harvest Hymns 3: Blessed Assurance, 2005
- LIVE -Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2004
- New Songs, 2004
- Little Kids Praise 2004/05, 2004
- Kids Praise 2004/05, 2004
- Ultimate Kids Praise: 60 All Time Classic Kids Praise Songs, 2004
- Evolution, 2004
- Spring Harvest Hymns 2: To God Be The Glory, 2004
- Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2003
- New Songs, 2003
- Spring Harvest Hymns: Great Is Thy Faithfulness, 2003
- Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2002
- New Songs, 2002
- Kids Praise 2002
- Praise Mix 2002
- Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2001
- New Songs, 2001
- Kids Praise 2001
- Little Kids Praise 2001
- Spring Harvest Live Worship, 2000
- New Songs, 2000
- Kid's Praise 2000
- Best Of Spring Harvest Kids Praise And Little Kids Praise, 2000
- Little Kids Praise 2000
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '99
- New Songs '99
- Spring Harvest: The Ultimate Praise Mix, 1999
- Praise Mix 99
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '98
- New Songs '98
- Kid's Praise '98
- R:age 98
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '97 (Vol 1 and Vol 2)
- New Songs for 1997
- Praise Mix: Quatamala, 1997
- Kids Praise '97
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '96 (Vol 1 and Vol 2)
- New Songs '96 Beyond Belief
- Spring Harvest Kids Praise '96
- Praise Mix: Shout It Out, 1996
- Take Off Your Shoes - Spring Harvest Live Worship '95
- Take off your shoes - New Songs '95
- Praise Mix 1995: It's A Small World
- Kid's Praise '95
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '94
- Dancing in the Dark - New Songs '94
- Praise Mix 1994
- Kids Praise '94: Dancing In The Dark
- Sping Harvest Live Worship '93
- New Songs for '93
- Kids Praise '93: Dancing In The Dark
- Praise Mix '93: Living On The Edge
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '92
- Meanwhile, Back At The Cross: 12 New Songs For Spring Harvest 1992
- Kids Praise: Meanwhile, Back At The Cross, 1992
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '91: shaken but not stirred
- Kids Praise '91: Shaken But Not Stirred
- Live Worship '90: Uncage The Lion, 1990
- Celebration '89 Vol 1 & Vol 2: Worship From Minehead, Skegness, Ayr
- Spring Harvest '89: 12-19 Praise
- Spring Harvest Live Worship '88
- Thank You: Celebrating 10 Years Of Worship At Spring Harvest, 1988
- Live Worship '87: Where Truth And Justice Meet
- Live Worship '86: This Is Your God
- Live Worship '85: Lights To The World
- Live Worship '84: The Servant King
- Praise Vol 2: Live Worship '
Social campaigns and fund raising for causes
- 1982: At the outbreak of the Falklands War, Spring Harvest sent a telegram to the Prime Minister expressing 'the love and concern felt by Christians for both governments and peoples involved.' £7,800 was collected and sent to the Church in Argentina.
- 1988: A worship album was launched, with profits going to Christian projects involved in supporting those with HIV/AIDS. It went on to raise over £20,000.
- 1991: £250,000 was given in voluntary offerings for a wide range of Christian work. £49,000 raised for a 'Greener Burkina' by the youth programme, was used to replant a forest and build a dam to alleviate drought conditions in Burkina Faso, West Africa.
- 1994 Spring Harvest brought attention to the Yugoslav Wars by sending a film crew to Mostar - a UN designated War Zone.
- 1999: Spring Harvest raises thousands of pounds to help the victims of brutality in the Kosovo War.
- 2000: Spring Harvest launches Generation 2000+ at Minehead, the family week, in conjunction with Care for the Family and raises over £1 million for children worldwide through the 'remember me' project.
- 1993: Spring Harvest Word Alive was launched in-conjunction with the Keswick Convention, Proclamation Trust and UCCF.
- 1996: Spring Harvest launched an initiative with Focus, and Holy Trinity, Brompton.
- 1998: Spring Harvest unveils plans to develop its activities, the first new initiative 'At Work Together' a conference for Leaders planned for September 1998. Alongside the developments a new Corporate Identity is also launched.
- 2003: Spring Harvest Holidays is launched with the holiday site in the Vendée, western France, opening to its first visitors. The first 'Youthwork the conference' takes place in Southport in November 2003.
- 2007: Spring Harvest Word Alive takes place for the final time following a communication to its partners by Spring Harvest that it was no longer possible to continue the format. Word Alive will be continuing without Spring Harvest under the name New Word Alive.
- 1993: Spring Harvest became a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee.
- 2009: Spring Harvest and ICC Media Group complete merger to form Memralife Group.
- 2009: Pilgrim Hall Christian Conference Centre in Sussex becomes latest member of the Memralife Group.
- 2010: After 20 years as CEO, Alan Johnson retires. Peter Martin appointed acting CEO of Memralife Group, this appointment being made permanent later in the year.
- In 2017, the Memralife Group is rebranded to 'Essential Christian'.
- Essential Christian Financial Statements y/e 2016-11-30
- Spring Harvest Web Site
- "Memralife Group Financial Statements (to 30 November 2011)".
- "More hit by holiday camp virus". BBC News. 17 April 2003.
- "ICC Media Group and Spring Harvest merge". Archived from the original on 29 March 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2009.
- "Pilgrim Hall Christian Conference Centre". Archived from the original on 20 May 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2010.