Spring Valley High School (South Carolina)
|Spring Valley High School|
|120 Sparkleberry Lane|
Columbia, South Carolina 29229
|School district||Richland County School District Two|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Rival||Richland Northeast High School|
|Accreditation||South Carolina Department of Education and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
Spring Valley High School is located in unincorporated Northeast Columbia, South Carolina, United States, and is operated by Richland County School District Two. Opened in the fall of 1970, it was for a long time the sole high school operating in Richland School District Two, replacing Dentsville High School.
The school had an unusual design. The main building was divided into octagonal 'pods', each containing eight chevron-shaped classrooms. This design was borne out of the open classroom concept that was popular during the late 1960s and early 1970s. In the school's early days, classrooms within each pod had no walls, allowing students to participate in any one of several classes occurring at one time. This did not prove successful, and walls were later added to separate the classroom pods by the early 1980s.
In 2008, a new three story building replaced the pods as the new school building, integrating the original gymnasium and fine arts buildings as the only remaining pieces of the original campus.
On October 26, 2015, a Richland County sheriff's deputy who was serving as Spring Valley's school resource officer was called to a classroom to remove a female student from her classroom. The female student was arrested on a charge called "disturbing schools" for refusing to give up her cell phone and leave the room. She was then pulled from the desk by the officer, thrown to the floor and handcuffed. Another female student in the classroom was also charged with disturbing schools after she allegedly yelled and cursed at the officer. The officer was fired after an internal review found that his actions ran counter to sheriff's department policy. The FBI and the US Department of Justice are investigating to determine if the deputy violated the student's civil rights. In response to the incident, South Carolina lawmakers, led by Rep. Mia McLeod, have proposed limitations to the state statute that defines when students can be arrested for disrupting schools. School district administrators also promised to conduct additional staff training about when to involve school resource officers in future incidents.
The discovery magnet program is designed for talented students and focuses on science and math, first founded in 1995. These courses are honors level and required for all members of the Discovery program. All discovery members are required to complete two college-level research projects during their sophomore and junior year. The completion of at least four AP courses (one math, one science, two others) is required for graduation from the discovery program.
The explorations program is the sister program to discovery. The program focuses on math and science, and is a college-preparatory program, as opposed to an honors program.
- Boys soccer: 2007
- Michael Boulware – NFL defensive back
- Peter Boulware – NFL linebacker
- P. J. Dozier – NBA guard
- Ainsley Earhardt – Fox News Channel anchor
- Lethon Flowers – NFL defensive back
- Taylor Guerrieri – MLB baseball player
- Terrance Hayes – poet
- Monique Hennagan – Olympic runner
- Danielle Howle – songwriter
- Tyrone Legette – NFL defensive back
- Andre Roberts – NFL wide receiver
- Willie Williams – NFL defensive back
- "Spring Valley High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- Yan, Holly; Castillo, Mariano (29 October 2015). "Attorney defends actions of fired school officer as 'justified and lawful'". CNN. Retrieved 31 October 2015.
- Kinnard, Meg (2015-10-29). "Questions remain after deputy fired over tossing teen". msn News. Associated Press. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Teague, Matthew (2015-10-26). "South Carolina sheriff's deputy on leave after dragging student from her desk". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-10-27.
- Ford, Dana; Botelho, Greg; Conlon, Kevin (2015-10-27). "Spring Valley High School officer suspended". CNN.
- Blad, Evie (26 Jan 2016). "State Laws That Can Lead to School Arrests Targeted for Change". Education Week. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100703013221/http://www.richland2.org/schools/svh/SVHSubPage.aspx?id=1215. Archived from the original on July 3, 2010. Retrieved December 24, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Discovery Overview - MWyatt". google.com. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- "Explorations Overview - MWyatt". google.com. Retrieved 27 October 2015.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090911090109/http://www.scfootballhistory.com/Titles/AllSports.aspx. Archived from the original on September 11, 2009. Retrieved October 21, 2009. Missing or empty