Springer Science+Business Media
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||10 May 1842(as Springer-Verlag)|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Headquarters location||Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany|
|Nonfiction topics||Science, technology, medicine, business, transport and architecture|
Springer Science+Business Media or Springer, is a global publishing company of books, e-books and peer-reviewed journals in science, humanities, technical and medical (STM) publishing. Originally founded in 1842 in Berlin, it expanded internationally in the 1960s, and through mergers in the 1990s and a sale to venture capitalists it fused with Wolters Kluwer and eventually became part of Springer Nature in 2015. Springer has major offices in Berlin, Heidelberg, Dordrecht, and New York City.
Julius Springer founded Springer-Verlag in Berlin in 1842 and his son Ferdinand Springer grew it from a small firm of 4 employees into Germany's second largest academic publisher with 65 staff in just 30 years. In 1964, Springer expanded its business internationally, opening an office in New York City. Offices in Tokyo, Paris, Milan, Hong Kong, and Delhi soon[when?] followed.
In 1999, the academic publishing company BertelsmannSpringer was formed after Bertelsmann bought a majority stake in Springer-Verlag. In 2003, the British investment groups Cinven and Candover bought BertelsmannSpringer from Bertelsmann . They merged the company in 2004 with the Dutch publisher Kluwer Academic Publishers which they bought from Wolters Kluwer in 2002, to form Springer Science+Business Media.
In 2009, Cinven and Candover sold Springer to two private equity firms, EQT Partners and Government of Singapore Investment Corporation, confirmed in February 2010 after the competition authorities in the US and in Europe approved the transfer.
In January 2015, Holtzbrinck Publishing Group / Nature Publishing Group and Springer Science+Business Media announced a merger. in May 2015 they concluded the transaction and formed a new joint venture company, Springer Nature with Holtzbrinck in the majority 53% share and BC Partners retaining 47% interest in the company.
In 1996, Springer launched electronic book and journal content on its SpringerLink site.
In 2008, SpringerImages was launched and offers a collection of currently 1.8 million images spanning science, technology, and medicine.
AuthorMapper is a free online tool for visualizing scientific research that enables document discovery based on author locations and geographic maps, helping users explore patterns in scientific research, identify literature trends, discover collaborative relationships, and locate experts in several scientific/medical fields.
Springer Protocols contained a collection of laboratory protocols, recipes that provide step-by-step instructions for conducting experiments, which in 2018 was made available in SpringerLink instead.
AS of 2014 Springer hosts a number of scientific databases, including SpringerLink, and SpringerImages. Book publications include major reference works, textbooks, monographs and book series; more than 168,000 titles are available as e-books in 24 subject collections.
Springer is a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association. For some of its journals, Springer does not require its authors to transfer their copyrights, and allows them to decide whether their articles are published under an open-access licence or in the traditional restricted licence model. While open-access publishing typically requires the author to pay a fee for copyright retention, this fee is sometimes covered by a third party. For example, a national institution in Poland allows authors to publish in open-access journals without incurring any personal cost but using public funds.
In 2014, it was revealed that sixteen papers in conference proceedings published by Springer had been computer-generated using SCIgen. Springer subsequently retracted all papers from these proceedings. IEEE had removed more than 100 fake papers from its conference proceedings.
- Adis International
- BioMed Central
- Birkhäuser Verlag
- Current Medicine Group
- Humana Press
- Key Curriculum Press
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Plenum Publishers
- Springer Gabler
- Springer Praxis Books
- Springer Spektrum
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics
- Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete (book series)
- Graduate Texts in Mathematics (book series)
- Grothendieck's Séminaire de géométrie algébrique
- The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics (book series)
- Zentralblatt MATH
- "648808Z Profile & Executives - Springer Science+Business Media GmbH - Bloomberg". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- "History". Springer Science+Business Media.
- "Chronology". Springer Science+Business Media.
- Poynder, Richard. "BertelsmannSpringer is Sold to Private Equity Firms". Information Today. May 27, 2003.
- "Kluwer Academic Publishers Sold to Venture Capitalists". Infotoday.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- "Springer to acquire Pharma Marketing and Publishing Services from Wolters Kluwer" (Press release). Springer. 9 November 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2018.[self-published source]
- DiStefano, Joseph N. (September 17, 2013). "Medical publisher to close Ambler office, move workers". The Philadelphia Inquirer. p. A14. Retrieved June 23, 2018 – via Newspapers.com (Publisher Extra).
- Heiskanen, Ville (2013-06-19). "BC Partners to Buy Springer Science for $4.4 Billion". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- "Holtzbrinck Publishing Group and BC Partners Announce Agreement to Merge Majority of MacMillan Science and Education with Springer Science+Business Media", 15 January 2015.
- Caroline Carpenter (May 6, 2015). "Completed merger forms 'Springer Nature'". The Bookseller. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- "Search Results (within Book)". SpringerLink. Springer. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Springer Open Choice". Springer.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- "Springer Open Choice for Polish Institutions". Springer.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- Noorden, Richard Van (24 February 2014). "Publishers withdraw more than 120 gibberish papers". Nature News. doi:10.1038/nature.2014.14763. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Kaplan, Sarah (August 18, 2015). "Major publisher retracts 64 scientific papers in fake peer review outbreak". Washington Post. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- Brochu, Nicole (24 December 2012). "Injection shown to reverse stroke, brain injuries". Health. Albuquerque Journal. Albuquerque, New Mexico. p. C4. Retrieved 23 June 2018 – via Newspapers.com (Publisher Extra).
...an article produced by Adis' parent company, Springer Science+Business Media.
- Springer Praxis Books. Springer Science+Business Media. Retrieved May 1, 2015.