Springfield Gardens High School
Springfield Gardens High School was a public 4–year high school located 143-10 Springfield Boulevard, in Springfield Gardens in the New York City borough of Queens. The school was opened in 1965. After years of poor performance, the school graduated its last class in June 2007. The school had poor test scores and a high drop-out rate. The school is now a complex made up of four other schools named Springfield Gardens Educational Campus. The schools are named Preparatory Academy for Writers, Queens Preparatory Academy, Excelsior Preparatory High School and George Washington Carver High School for the Sciences. The Preparatory Academy for Writers carries sixth and seventh graders and is the only school of the four currently taking junior high students.
This is a partial list of notable alumni of Springfield Gardens High School. Names on this list should either have an accompanying existing article link which verifies they are an alumnus, or reliable sources as footnotes against the name showing they are a notable alumnus.
- Lawrence Bush (Class of 1968) – author, and editor of Jewish Currents
- Calvin Bruton (Class of 1972) – Former N.B.A. player and Australian Basketball League legend
- Sandra Denton (Class of 1984) – Hip-hop artist, rapper and actress.
- Charles Jenkins (Class of 2006) – National Basketball Association basketball player for the Philadelphia 76ers, who won multiple Haggerty Awards at Hofstra University
- Anthony Mason (Class of 1985) – American National Basketball Association player for 6 professional teams from 1989 to 2003, and selection to the 2001 NBA All-Star Game.
- Eric V. Moyé (Class of 1972) – Harvard Law School graduate, District Judge, State of Texas.
- Mike Mazzei (Class of 1983) – State senator (Oklahoma).
Address: 143-10 Springfield Blvd, Springfield Gardens, NY 11413
Phone: (718) 341-3033
- Excelsior Preparatory High School – Lilly Lucas.
- Queens Preparatory Academy – Tashon Haywood.
- Preparatory Academy for Writers – Charles Anderson.
- George Washington Carver High School – Janice Sutton.
Football, Boys' Soccer, Girls' Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Softball, Basketball
- Hechinger, Fred M. (February 15, 1967). "School Board Told To Rezone Queens: State Orders Move to End Rising Racial Imbalance in Jackson High by Fall". The New York Times. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Insideschools.org review
- Public School Review
- Charles Jenkins bio. Hofstra University. Retrieved on 13 May 2010.
- Anthony Mason Autograph guide and bio. Retrieved on 19 May 2011.
|This Queens school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|