Springfield Township, Franklin County, Indiana
Location of Springfield Township in Franklin County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||35.62 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Land||35.57 sq mi (92.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,007 ft (307 m)|
|• Density||32.5/sq mi (12.5/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453865|
Springfield Township was established in 1817. The origin of the name is unclear. Some hold it was named for a large spring where a blockhouse was to be built, while others believe it was named for a town in the East where the first settlers originated.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 35.62 square miles (92.3 km2), of which 35.57 square miles (92.1 km2) (or 99.86%) is land and 0.06 square miles (0.16 km2) (or 0.17%) is water.
Cities and towns
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
The township contains five cemeteries: Asbury, Conn, James, Mount Carmel and Springfield.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Reifel, August Jacob (1915). History of Franklin County, Indiana. Windmill Publications. p. 142.
- Reifel, August Jacob (1915). History of Franklin County, Indiana. Windmill Publications. p. 144.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
||Bath Township||Oxford Township, Butler County, Ohio|
|Brookville Township||Reily Township, Butler County, Ohio|
|Whitewater Township||Morgan Township, Butler County, Ohio|
|This Franklin County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|