Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Location of Springfield Township in Montgomery County, PA
|• Total||6.79 sq mi (17.6 km2)|
|• Land||6.78 sq mi (17.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||276 ft (84 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,900/sq mi (1,100/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||215, 267, and 445|
Springfield Township is a township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 19,418 at the 2010 census. It includes the villages of Wyndmoor, Erdenheim, Flourtown, and Oreland. The communities of Lafayette Hill, Fort Washington, Laverock, North Hills, Miquon, and Glenside are also partly inside the Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 6.8 square miles (17.6 km2), of which, 6.8 square miles (17.6 km2) of it is land and 0.15% is water.
The township is bordered in Montgomery County by (clockwise from west) Whitemarsh Township to the west, Upper Dublin Township to the north, shares a corner with Abington Township to the northeast, and Cheltenham Township to the east. In Philadelphia, it is adjacent to Cedarbrook to the southeast (along Ivy Hill Rd.), shares a corner with East Mount Airy to the south (Stenton and Ivy Hill), and Chestnut Hill to the southwest (along Stenton Ave.)
The population of Springfield Township is 19,848 as of 2019. 
At the 2000 census there were 19,533 people, 7,471 households, and 5,140 families in the township. The population density was 2,875.4 people per square mile (1,110.7/km2). There were 7,631 housing units at an average density of 1,123.3/sq mi (433.9/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 88.54% White, 8.31% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.92% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.04%.
There were 7,471 households, 29.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.9% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 26.9% of households were made up of individuals, and 13.2% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.98.
The age distribution was 21.4% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 23.3% 65 or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 85.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.4 males.
The median household income was $67,226 and the median family income was $79,749. Males had a median income of $53,651 versus $41,376 for females. The per capita income for the township was $32,628. About 1.3% of families and 3.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and 7.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Springfield Township School District serves the township. It operates Springfield Township High School, Springfield Township Middle School, Enfield Elementary School, and Erdenheim Elementary School. Four Catholic schools are located in the township: Mount Saint Joseph Academy (girls' high school), Martin Saints Classical High School, LaSalle College High School (boys' high school) and St. Genevieve's School (K-8). The township is also served by the Free Library of Springfield Township.
Politics and government
|2016||27.4% 3,386||68.2% 8,430|
|2012||35.3% 4,194||63.8% 7,588|
|2008||33.8% 4,141||65.4% 8,009|
|2004||38.4% 4,614||61.3% 7,364|
|2000||40.5% 4,358||56.7% 6,109|
|1996||39.8% 4,128||51.8% 5,369|
|1992||39.5% 4,454||46.1% 5,197|
Springfield Township is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners that are elected for four year terms.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- U.S. Census Bureau, "QuickFacts: Springfield Township, Montgomery County, PA" Accessed August 6, 2020
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.|
| Bordering communities