Springfield Township, Richland County, Ohio
|Springfield Township, Richland County, Ohio|
Fields west of Ontario
Location of Springfield Township (red) in Richland County, next to the cities of Mansfield (yellow) and Ontario (green).
|• Total||36.6 sq mi (94.9 km2)|
|• Land||36.6 sq mi (94.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,355 ft (413 m)|
|• Density||264.3/sq mi (102.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086886|
Springfield Township is one of the eighteen townships of Richland County, Ohio, United States. It is a part of the Mansfield Metropolitan Statistical Area. The 2000 census found 9,674 people in the township, 4,371 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Franklin Township - northeast corner
- Madison Township - east
- Washington Township - southeast corner
- Troy Township - south
- Sandusky Township - west
- Sharon Township - northwest
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.6 square miles (58.9 km²).All of the township is land and none of it is covered with water.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Richland County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.