|Developer(s)||Strobe Inc., Sproutit, Apple Inc. and community.|
1.11.0 / February 2, 2015
Apple announced MobileMe at WWDC in 2008, noting that much of it was built using SproutCore. Apple has contributed greatly to the project as part of a Web 2.0 initiative. SproutCore was also used at iWork.com, the online extension of the iWork productivity software by Apple.
The latest major stable SproutCore release is 1.8, released on March 7, 2012, with many bug fixes, several new features, and documentation updates. Release 1.6 was largely a bugfix release, building on the previous 1.5 release. SproutCore 1.5 contained significant updates to view layers, added a new CSS parser that builds off of SCSS, WAI-ARIA support, modular loading, and additional features. The previous major release, SproutCore 1.4, included touch support for mobile devices, released on September 20, 2010.
In June 2010, the creator of SproutCore, Charles Jolley, left Apple to start Strobe Inc., which provides SproutCore support and continues development.
In May 2011, the SproutCore team announced SproutCore 2.0, a rebuilt version of the framework designed to expose the MVC underpinnings without requiring developers to use the included widget set. The team also emphasized the importance of reducing file size to support developing applications for mobile devices.
In July 2011, a new project, SproutCore UI, was announced. SproutCore UI is designed to provide common user interface elements for developers targeting mobile devices.
SproutCore 1.x codebase would continue releasing and was under active development by the core team and SproutCore community.
- Blog Post about SproutCore Sites
- Blog post about 1.4 release
- Blog post about Strobe
- Blog post The Strobe Team is Moving to Facebook
- Facebook Picks Up Apple Alum's HTML5 Start-up, Strobe
- Stated in SproutCore 1.8 release note, March 7, 2012.
- "Apple adopting SproutCore for web applications". Macrumors. 2008-06-16.
- "Apple's open secret: SproutCore is Cocoa for the web". Appleinsider. 2008-06-16.
- "Want to try out Apple's MobileMe? Check out SproutCore". Techcrunch. 2008-06-09.
- "Cocoa for Windows+Flash killer=SproutCore". Roughly Drafted. 2008-06-14.
- Sproutcore.com homepage
- Strobe Inc. homepage
- SproutCore Wiki
- SproutCore source code
- an Introduction to SproutCore, discussing desktop vs. browser development, key/value observeration, data bindings, demos, SproutCore features and API, and example SproutCore apps. 2009-12-30
- ListenApp. Web application done with SproutCore 1.0
- Tasks. Tasks management app done with SproutCore 1.0 (login as 'guest' no password)
- Lebowski Framework - A test automation framework for SproutCore
- itsgotwhatplantscrave.com - A SproutCore focused blog
- frozencanuck.wordpress.com - Another SproutCore focused blog
- Nextfinity DevBlog - A SproutCore blog focused on real-world examples