Sprouts Farmers Market
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SFM|
S&P 400 Component
|Industry||Grocery store, Health food store|
|Headquarters||5455 E. High Street, #111, |
|Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington|
|Revenue||US$5.2 billion (2018)|
|US$159 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Sprouts Farmers Market, Inc., is an American supermarket chain headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The healthy grocer offers a wide selection of natural and organic foods, including fresh produce, bulk foods, vitamins and supplements, packaged groceries, meat and seafood, deli, baked goods, dairy products, frozen foods, natural body care and household items. The chain was created to respond to consumers’ growing demand in health and wellness. Sprouts employs more than 30,000 team members and operates more than 300 stores in 20 states from coast to coast. A typical store is around 30,000 square feet. Fortune included Sprouts on its list of the World’s Most Admired Companies in 2018 and 2019.
Sprouts offers a wide selection of healthful products at low prices that are minimally processed and free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and synthetic ingredients. The company says that 90% of its products meet this standard.
Sprouts has its own private label brand of products, featuring more than 2,400 items. Sprouts offers beef products that range from choice cuts to grass-fed. Sprouts has a large Vitamins & Supplements department with more than 7,500 products. Produce makes up approximately a quarter of the business for Sprouts and the store carries around 200 varieties of organic produce. As a healthy food grocer dedicated to affordability and accessibility, one third of the store is always on promotion.
In 2015, Sprouts founded the Healthy Communities Foundation, which supports local health and wellness related causes. In 2017, the Healthy Communities Foundation awarded $2.2 million to nonprofit organizations.
Sprouts operates with a focus on the environment, product quality and supply chain transparency, team members, and local communities. As part of Sprouts’ commitment to “zero waste,” Sprouts participates in a food waste diversion program that provides food to those in need, feed for animals, and nutrients for agricultural soil. All edible food that is no longer fit for sale is donated to hunger relief agencies and food that is not fit for hunger relief agencies is donated as cattle feed. Everything else is donated as compost, which enriches soils with nutrients. In 2019, The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognized Sprouts with several recognition through its GreenChill program, a partnership with food retailers to reduce refrigerant emissions and decrease their impact on the ozone layer and climate change.
Animal product concerns
In April 2017, the network Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) released the results of their investigation into cage-free egg supplier Morning Fresh Farms. The Phoenix Business Journal covered the investigation and included comments from Sprouts, noting that Morning Fresh Farms provided inspection reports and certification documents showing compliance that indicated the video shared in the results was not reflective of the farm's cage-free facility in Colorado.
- "Sprouts Farmers Market". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "Consumers demand healthier ingredients". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Sprouts Farmers Market coming to Baton Rouge". WAFB. 2019-06-14. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- "12 things shoppers need to know about Sprouts Farmers Market". The Tennessean. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Sprouts Farmers Market". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-09-11.
- MURPHY, CAT. "Healthy choices ripe for the picking at Sprouts Farmers Market". The Murfreesboro Post. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Taylor, Natalie (October 23, 2018). "Sprouts to Open 30 New Stores in 2019". www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Tampa Bay's first Sprouts Farmers Market opens today". TBO.com. 21 February 2017.
- "Here's a look inside Sprouts Farmers Market at Lincoln Square". Phillyvoice. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "Sprouts Awards $1.6M to Health-focused Nonprofits". ProgressiveGrocer. 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation Awards $2.2M To Nonprofits". Shelby Report. 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Sustainability". Sprouts Corporate - Natural & Organic Grocery Store. Retrieved 2019-09-11.
- "Environment". Sprouts Corporate - Natural & Organic Grocery Store. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
- US EPA, OA (2019-09-11). "EPA Applauds the Smart Refrigerant Management by Weis Markets and Supermarkets Across America". US EPA. Retrieved 2019-09-11.
- "Employee Access Sprouts Market". Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- Totten, Steven (18 April 2017). "Investigation finds starving chickens at Sprouts Farmers Market egg supplier". Phoenix Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 24 April 2017.