Sprouts Farmers Market
Sprouts Farmers Market in Los Angeles, California
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SFM|
S&P 400 Component
|Industry||Grocery store, Health food store|
|Headquarters||5455 E. High Street, #111, |
|Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington|
|Products||Groceries, food, organic food, vitamins and dietary supplements|
|Revenue||US$3.59 billion (2015)|
|US$134.7 million (2015)|
Number of employees
Sprouts Farmers Market, Inc., is an American supermarket chain headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The stores are full-service and emphasize organic foods including fresh produce, bulk foods, vitamins and supplements, packaged groceries, meat and seafood, deli, baked goods, dairy products, frozen foods, natural body care and household items. The chain was created to respond to consumers’ growing demand in health and wellness. Sprouts employs more than 28,000 individuals and operates more than 300 stores in 19 states from coast to coast. A typical Sprouts Farmers Market store is around 30,000 square feet. Sprouts is traded on the NASDAQ as SFM.
Sprouts Farmers Market aims to sell products that are minimally processed and free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and synthetic ingredients. The company says that 90% of its products meet this standard. The company sells many USDA-certified organic foods and products that aim to be environmentally friendly and ecologically responsible.
Sprouts has its own private label brand of products, featuring more than 2,400 items. Sprouts offers beef products that range from choice cuts to grass-fed. Sprouts has a large Vitamins & Supplements department with more than 7,500 products. Produce makes up approximately a quarter of the business for Sprouts and the store carries around 200 varieties of organic produce. As a healthy food grocer dedicated to affordability and accessibility, third of the store is always on promotion.
In 2015, Sprouts founded the Healthy Communities Foundation, which supports local health and wellness related causes. In 2017, the Healthy Communities Foundation awarded $2.2 million to nonprofit organizations. Sprouts has a Food Rescue program that donates edible, unsold groceries to local food banks. Sprouts donated more than 19 million pounds of unsold groceries through their Food Rescue program in 2016.
Sprouts is committed to making their stores “Zero Waste” by 2020.
Animal product concerns
In April 2017, the network Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) released the results of their investigation into cage-free egg supplier Morning Fresh Farms. The Phoenix Business Journal reported a video of Morning Fresh Farms depicted chicken starvation and dehydration. Sprouts claimed that the video is not reflective of Morning Fresh Farms' cage-free facility in Colorado where the grocer's certified humane cage-free eggs are supplied from.
- "Sprouts Farmers Market". Fortune. Retrieved 2019-01-14.
- "Consumers demand healthier ingredients". Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- "Sprouts to lease at Tamaya Market". WTOP. 2017-10-05. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "12 things shoppers need to know about Sprouts Farmers Market". The Tennessean. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "SFM Stock Price & News - Sprouts Farmers Market Inc. - Wall Street Journal". quotes.wsj.com. Retrieved 2016-09-22.
- MURPHY, CAT. "Healthy choices ripe for the picking at Sprouts Farmers Market". The Murfreesboro Post. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Taylor, Natalie (October 23, 2018). "Sprouts to Open 30 New Stores in 2019". www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Tampa Bay's first Sprouts Farmers Market opens today". TBO.com. 21 February 2017.
- www.phillyvoice.com https://www.phillyvoice.com/sprouts-farmers-market-philadelphia-lincoln-square-organic-grocery-store/. Retrieved 2018-12-06. Missing or empty
- "Sprouts Awards $1.6M to Health-focused Nonprofits". ProgressiveGrocer. 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-11-22.
- "Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation Awards $2.2M To Nonprofits". Shelby Report. 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Sprouts to Add 30 Stores in 2018 | Gourmet Retailer". gourmetretailer.com. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "NowThis". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- Totten, Steven (18 April 2017). "Investigation finds starving chickens at Sprouts Farmers Market egg supplier". Phoenix Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 24 April 2017.