|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Platforms||Windows, Macintosh, iOS, Linux|
|First release||Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"
Oct 17, 1997
|Latest release||Spy Fox 3: "Operation Ozone"
March 30, 2001
Spy Fox is a series of software from Humongous Entertainment starring a fictional anthropomorphic fox of the same name. The characters live in a world of anthropomorphic animals who live like humans. There are also running gags in the games such as Professor Quack eating a certain blueprint which shows how a gadget works (see below) and Monkey Penny's karate belt, which appears on the packaging boxes but is not shown in actual game play (although the belt is sometimes shown in animations that play during credits). Many of the game's names and plot elements are spoofs from the James Bond and Get Smart series. Many random puns are thrown in throughout the games to create a whimsical and humorous environment.
Spy Fox (voiced by Bob Zenk in Dry Cereal and Cheese Chase and Mike Madeoy in the other three games) works for a spy agency called SPY Corps. His cohorts include Monkey Penny (his secretarial assistant), Professor Quack (creator of the SPY Corps gadgets), the SPY Corps Chief, and the four-armed, four-sleeved 'tracking bug', Walter Wireless.
There are three adventure games in the series:
- "Spy Fox in: Dry Cereal" (1997)
- "Spy Fox 2: Some Assembly Required" (1999)
- "Spy Fox 3: Operation Ozone" (2001)
Two arcade games also exist starring Spy Fox:
- Spy Fox in: Cheese Chase (1998)
- Spy Fox in: Hold the Mustard (1999)
The Spy Fox games each contain several different game paths randomly determined when the player starts a new game. Each path has its own challenges, which some players find more challenging than others. The main protagonist of the games, Spy Fox, uses a variety of gadgets to complete his missions. Each game has a bonus ending wherein the player can catch the villain. The bonus ending is only accessible if the player clicks an option at the right moment.
When running with ScummVM, these games can be played on different operating systems, including Windows, Mac and GNU/Linux. A version of Dry Cereal which uses ScummVM was released in 2008 for Nintendo's Wii console.
- Spy Fox - Spy Fox is suave, sophisticated, ever-cool and on top of things, even when the going gets a little tough. He relies on his wits and various spy gadgets, supplied to him by Quack, found at the Mobile Command Center.
- Monkey Penny - Spy Fox's simian partner who is stationed at the Spy Corps Mobile Command Center. She sometimes contacts Spy Fox via his Spy Watch. She can also be called using the Spy Watch.
- Professor Quack - is a duck at the Mobile Command Center working on spy gadgets. He'll explain to Spy Fox how each gadget works when the player clicks on them in the Spy Gadget vending machine. He has a habit of eating the gadget's blueprints after explaining the gadget's functions to the player.
- Howard Hugh Heifer Udderly III - The bovine president and CEO of Amalgamated Moo Juice Incorporated has been cownapped! Mr. Udderly is the only one who knows the extent of William the Kid's deranged plan. His name is based on those of Howard Hughes and Hugh Hefner, and the word "heifer".
- William the Kid - The villain of the game, he is the CEO of the Nectar of the Goats (N.O.G.) Corporation, and plans on ridding the world of cow's milk and replacing it with goat's milk using his Milky Weapon of Destruction.
- Russian Blue - She's William the Kid's right hand gal. Her life's passion is the tango, she can't resist one. She owns and operates the swank ocean liner, the SS Deadweight.
Some Assembly Required
- Napoleon LeRoach - Leader of the Society of Meaningless Evil, Larceny, Lying and Yelling, (S.M.E.L.L.Y.). LeRoach’s evil plot is to use his Giant Evil Dogbot to take over the world! His agenda stems from the fact that he has been laughed at and scorned for his size.
- Giant Evil Dogbot - Created by the S.M.E.L.L.Y. Toy Division and maximized to ratio of 1,000 to 1. This villainous weapon is posing as a centerpiece at the World’s Fair. The Chateau LeRoach restaurant is located in its collar. Seen in a short cameo as trash in an unnamed evil organization's lair in Spy Fox 3: "Operation Ozone".
- Chief - The chief of Spy Corps who meets Spy Fox after he escapes from the ski shack and again when he presents Spy Fox with the Grand Golden Family Approved Fortified Supreme Certificate of Excellence for landing Napoleon LeRoach in Spy Jail. He also appears in Spy Fox 3: "Operation Ozone".
- Poodles Galore Biby - The Queen of Cosmetics and Spy Fox’s evil Nemesis. Poodles is not satisfied with being the cosmetics queen of the whole town, she wants to control the entire sunscreen market using her aerosol spraying hairspray satellite to deplete the ozone layer in order to sell her new product SPF: 2001.
- Plato Pushpin - The scientist that Galore has forced to build the hairspray satellite of destruction using illegal chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). He is the only one with the knowledge to stop the hairspray satellite with his best invention, the Congeal Pill.
- SuperKids Software Review: Spy Fox Operation Ozone