|Directed by||AR Murugadoss|
|Produced by||N. V. Kumar|
|Written by||AR Murugadoss|
Rakul Preet Singh
S. J. Surya
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
NVR Cinema LLP
|Distributed by||Reliance Entertainment|
Lyca Productions (Tamil Nadu)
|Box office||₹113 crore.|
Spyder is a 2017 Indian action thriller film directed and written by AR Murugadoss. Shot simultaneously in Telugu and Tamil, the film stars Mahesh Babu, S. J. Surya and Rakul Preet Singh in lead roles. Harris Jayaraj is the music composer and Santosh Sivan is the cinematographer of the film. The production of the film and the film's principal photography commenced in July 2016. The first look of the film was released on 12 April 2017, while the teaser was released on 1 June 2017. The film was released worldwide on 27 September 2017.
Shiva (Mahesh Babu), an officer in the Intelligence Bureau office, spies on people's calls and messages to help them if needed. He developed a software to listen to the needing ones by tracking their phones. On the night of 16 March, he listens to Charlie/Shalini (Rakul Preet Singh) talking about her wish on getting 98% in her exams from 96% to get a USA scholarship with her friend. In order to do that, she decides to get concentration by dating with a guy. Shiva follows her, and she starts to fall in love, but he does not.
On the night of 28 April, he listens in on a young girl asking her friend for help as she is alone in her house and scared because there is no electricity in her house whilst everyone else on her street has it. Shiva sends his friend, new police constable Renuka (Himaja), to help the girl. However the next day, a news channel declares that the two women had been killed. They were undressed, chopped into different pieces, and were mixed together. Shiva goes to the crime scene and finds it has been a brutal murder. He resigned from his job stating, "I didn't help them and I should've never sent out Renuka," but his father (Jayaprakash) encourages him to find the murderer. To find out who murdered them, he sets out to 'spy' the girl's chats and whereabouts.
He finds that a guy followed her at a cafe. Through technology, he finds someone who knows the guy. He then travels to the village where the guy grew up, through the person who knew the guy. From an elderly villager, he learns the past about the guy, Bhairavudu/Sudalai (S. J. Surya). He suffers from sadistic personality disorder and has an unusual desire to kill people and see the victims' family grieving. One day, a village kid sees him killing a person and tells the other villagers. They decide to burn Bhairavudu/Sudalai's house, which his parents died from. Angry, he left the village to continue his killing spree with his younger brother (Bharath). Shiva manages to catch him, but instead he reveals to be his brother. Bhairavudu/Sudalai reveals he killed 23 people and hid their bodies in 23 pillars of a bridge and threatens the citizens to leave his brother unscathed. He also reveals that he plans to destroy a hospital. Shiva kills Bharaivadu’s/Sudalai’s brother in front of the 40 people's families, including an angry Bhairavudu/Sudalai.
Bhairavudu/Sudalai plans to kill Shiva's family. Shiva finds out when his mother (Dheepa Ramanujam) calls him and tells him she is scared because there is no current in their house whilst everyone else on the street does, exactly the same as what the girl had said earlier. Shiva manages to save his family through his workmates. After failing to kill the family, Bhairavudu/Sudalai tries to kill Shiva on his way home and Shiva gets impaled on a truck. He slowly recovers and gets back on getting Bhairavadu/Sudalai. Because Shiva had shot him before he fell unconscious, he thinks Bhairavudu/Sudalai has hidden himself in a house where he can heal, but he has imprisoned the owners. Through the use of technology and local ladies, he finds Bhairavudu/Sudalai and arrests him, but Bhairavudu/Sudalai tells him that he had already planned a big rock fall in the city. Shiva manages to stop the big rock whilst Bhairavudu/Sudalai escapes from police and continues with his plan on destroying a hospital. Charlie/Shalini finds out which hospital but refuses to tell Shiva due to misunderstanding. Shiva tracks down her taxi and she tells him which hospital it is. He rushes to the hospital and starts evacuating everyone. He saved as many as he could but could not save some patients, which he feels heartbroken over. Bhairavudu/Sudalai sees Shiva's grief and gets very happy. Shiva finally kills Bhairavudu/Sudalai and tells the media, "We have only killed the patient but not the disease. Helping people you don’t know is the greatest happiness in the world. We shouldn’t use technology all the time because we don’t have time to spend with others." He also tells them that there are other people who may have the same exact disease. The movie ends with Shiva walking with Charlie/Shalini out of the crowd.
- Mahesh Babu as Shiva
- Rakul Preet Singh as Charlie (Telugu)/Shalini (Tamil)
- S. J. Surya as Bhairavadu (Telugu)/Sudalai (Tamil)
- Bharath as Bhairavadu/Sudalai's brother
- RJ Balaji as Vinay (Tamil)/Madhu(Telugu)
- Priyadarshi Pullikonda as Madhu (Tamil)/Vinay (Telugu)
- Jayaprakash as Shiva's father
- Dheepa Ramanujam as Shiva's mother
- Sayaji Shinde as DGP Chandrasekhar
- Nagineedu as Commissioner Gajapathi
- Himaja as Renuka
- Shaji Chen as IB Head Mathews
- Hareesh Peradi as CBI Head
- Ajay Ratnam as Inspector Gokulnath
- Sentrayan as Rogue
- Ravi as Bhairavadu/Sudalai's friend
- 'Sembaruthi' Sanjay as Young Bhairavudu/Sudalai
S. J. Surya was cast as antagonist for the film. This film marks second collaboration between S. J. Surya, who directed Naani starring Mahesh Babu as the lead actor, marks his second collaboration. AR Murugadoss was a former assistant of S. J. Surya in the films Vaali and Kushi. Parineeti Chopra was approached for the film, which she declined citing dates issue. Later, the role went to Rakul Preet Singh. Bharath was signed on to play a negative role.
The film's principal photography commenced in July 2016. 98% of the film was mainly shot in Chennai itself, with the backdrop being changed as Hyderabad through computer graphics for the Telugu version. The film's first look was released in April 2017. Mahesh has done the film's stunts by himself. Final stage of filming started in Chennai on 16 May 2017. In June 2017, it was reported that, all the talkie portions has been filmed and only two songs were pending. Shooting mainly took place in Chennai, with some portions in and around Hyderabad and Vizag, while the songs were filmed overseas.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||9 September 2017|
|Length||22:42 (Telugu) |
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
The music is composed by Harris Jayaraj. He has composed for a Telugu film after 7 years. With the project, he also marks his fourth collaboration with AR Murugadoss after Ghajini, 7aum Arivu and Thuppakki and his second with Mahesh Babu, 11 years after Sainikudu. The audio rights for the soundtrack were bagged by Zee Music Company. The lyrics for the Tamil version of the songs were written by Madhan Karky.
All lyrics written by Ramajogayya Sastry.
|1.||"Boom Boom"||Nikhita Gandhi||4:15|
|2.||"Ciciliya Ciciliya"||Haricharan, Shakthisree Gopalan||4:43|
|3.||"Haali Haali"||Brijesh Tripati Sandilya, Harini and Sunitha||5:31|
|4.||"Achcham Telugandham"||Pravin Saivi, Christopher Stanley, Sathya Prakash||2:57|
|5.||"Spyder on Mission" (Instrumental)||1:14|
|6.||"Akkada Vunnavadu"||Geetha Madhuri||4:02|
All lyrics written by Madhan Karky.
|1.||"Boom Boom"||Nikhita Gandhi||4:15|
|2.||"Ciciliya Ciciliya"||Haricharan, Shakthisree Gopalan||4:43|
|3.||"Aali Aali"||Brijesh Tripati Sandilya, Harini and Sunitha||5:31|
|4.||"Otrai Iravukaai"||Pravin Saivi, Christopher Stanley, Sathya Prakash||2:57|
|5.||"Spyder on Mission" (Instrumental)||Theme||1:14|
The film was released on 27 September 2017. Following Baahubali, Spyder was also planned to have a simultaneous release in both Telugu and Tamil and also with a Malayalam dubbed version with the same name. The film was also dubbed in Hindi and directly premiered on Zee Cinema on 17 June 2018. Tamil Nadu rights have been acquired by Lyca Productions.
- "Mahesh Babu, AR Murugadoss film called SPYder, first posters goes viral". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Spyder Hindi Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers – Filmibeat". FilmiBeat.
- "Will Mahesh Babu's Spyder set new record after Baahuali 2?". The Hans India. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- http://www.indianmoviestats.com/moviedetail.html?movie=288http://www.indianmoviestats.com/moviedetail.html?movie=288. Retrieved 8 March 2019. Missing or empty
- "SPYDER – British Board of Film Classification". www.bbfc.co.uk.
- "A stylish and power-packed action thriller – Spyder". Princemahesh.com.
- "Interview : Murugadoss – You will see a new Mahesh in Spyder". 123Telugu.com.
- "Mahesh Babu's Spyder rights sold for a whopping price". India Today.
- "Mahesh Babu-AR Murugadosss upcoming film goes on floors". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu Rakul Preeth Singh new movie directed by A R Murugadoss first look April 12-Tamil Movie News". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Desk, The Hindu Net. "Mahesh Babu's 'Spyder' teaser out". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Shhh… Its A SPYDER… Teaser out". FilmiAdda.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Cain, Rob. "'SPYder' Grosses Spectacular $17.8M (Rs. 51 Crore) Worldwide On Its First Day".
- "Spyder box office collection: Mahesh Babu-AR Murugadoss film earns Rs 50 crore opening, worldwide". 29 September 2017.
- times of india: Parineeti Chopra reveals why she opted out of the Mahesh Babu-starrer – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 10 June 2017.
- "Parineeti Chopra signs her first South film". Filmfare. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Kavirayani, Suresh (13 May 2016). "Parineeti Chopra impresses Tollywood". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Bharath to play a negative role in ARM-Mahesh Babu film". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Mahesh Babu didn't use body doubles to do stunts in Spyder: Rupin Suchak".
- "AR Murugadoss' Spyder climax begin today". Behindwoods. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu Spyder reaches next level now". Top 10 Cinema. 1 July 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu's Spyder to release in September? – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Spyder likely to be postponed to September". behindwoods.com. 24 May 2017.
- "Spyder pushed to September". Deccan Chronicle. 27 May 2010. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Spyder to release on September 27". Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Spyder will have same release as Baahubali now". Top 10 Cinema. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Kaththand 2.0 firm clasps Spyder". Top 10 Cinema. 25 July 2017. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "Is Spyder's failure the reason why Mahesh Babu won't work with big directors?". India Today.