|Directed by||AR Murugadoss|
N. V. Prasad|
|Written by||AR Murugadoss|
S. J. Surya
Rakul Preet Singh
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
NVR Cinema LLP
Lyca Productions (Tamil Nadu)
137 minutes (Telugu)|
142 minutes (Tamil)
Spyder is a 2017 Indian action thriller film directed and written by Tamil director AR Murugadoss. Shot simultaneously in Tamil and Telugu, the film stars Mahesh Babu, S. J. Surya and Rakul Preet Singh in lead roles. Harris Jayaraj is the music composer and Santosh Sivan is the cinematographer of the film. The production of the film and the film's principal photography commenced in July 2016. The first look of the film was released on 12 April 2017, while the teaser was released on 1 June 2017. The film was released worldwide on 27 September, 2017 along with its dubbed version in Malayalam.
Shiva (Mahesh Babu), an officer in the Intelligence Bureau office, spies on people's calls and messages to help them if needed. He developed a software to listen to the needing ones by tracking their phones. On the night of March 16th, he listens to a lady named Charlie/Shalini (Rakul Preet Singh) talking about her wish on getting 98% in her exams from 96% to get a USA Scholarship with her friend. In order to do that, she decides to get concentration by knowing a guy. Shiva goes and follows her and Charlie/Shalini starts to fall in love but Shiva does not as his main focus is to help people.
On the night of April 28th, he listens to a young girl asking her friend for help as she is alone in her house and scared because there is no current in her house whilst everyone else on her street does. Shiva sends his friend and new police constable, Renuka, to help the girl. However the next day, a news channel declares that the two are killed. Shiva goes to the site and finds that its been a brutal murder. To know who murdered them, he sets out to 'spy' the girl's chats and whereabouts.
He finds that a guy followed her at a cafe. Through technology, he find someone who knows the guy. He then travels to the village where the guy grew up from, through the person who knew the guy. From a long-living villager, he learns the past about the guy, Bhairavudu/Sudalai (S. J. Surya). He suffers from sadistic personality disorder and has an unusual desire to kill people and see the victims' family crying. One day, a village kid sees him killing a person and tells the other villagers. They decide to burn Bhairavudu/Sudalai's house, which his parents died from. Angry, he left the village to continue his killing spree with his younger brother. Shiva manages to catch him but instead he reveals to be Bhairavudu's/Sudalai’s younger brother (Bharath). Bhairavudu reveals that he killed 23 people and hid their bodies in 23 pillars of a bridge and threatens the whole citizens to leave his brother free. He also reveals that he plans to destroy a hospital. Shiva, though, kills Bharaivadu’s/Sudalai’s brother in front of the 40 people's families, including an angry Bhairavudu/Sudalai.
Bhairavudu/Sudalai plans to kill Shiva's family. Shiva finds out when his mother (Dheepa Ramanujam) calls him and tells him that she is scared because there is no current in their house whilst everyone else on the street does, exactly the same as what the girl had said earlier. Shiva manages to save his family through his workmates. Then, Bhairavudu/Sudalai tries to kill Shiva on his way home, which Shiva gets stabbed through his body from a rod on a truck. He slowly recovers and gets back on getting Bhairavadu/Sudalai. Because Shiva had shot him before he fell unconscious, he thinks Bhairavudu/Sudalai has hidden himself in a house where he can heal but he has imprisoned the owners. With the help of the local ladies, Shiva finds, catches and arrests Bhairavadu/Sudalai, but Bhairavudu/Sudalai tells him that he had already planned a big rock fall in the city which starts in 20 minutes. Shiva manages to stop the big rock, with the number of cars that were already there and a truck he managed to get in place. Meanwhile, Bhairavudu/Sudalai escapes from the police quarters and continues with his plan on destroying a hospital. Charlie/Shalini finds out which hospital, but refuses to tell Shiva because he was rude to her. Shiva tracks down her taxi and she tells him which hospital it is, and he rushes there and starts evacuating everyone. He saved as many as he could but couldn't save some patients which he feels heartbroken for. Lastly, Shiva finally kills Bhairavudu/Sudalai and tells media that "We have only killed the patient, but not the disease. Helping people you don’t know is the greatest happiness in the world. We shouldn’t use technology all the time, because we don’t have time to spend with others." He also tells them that there are other people who may have the same exact disease. The movie ends with Shiva walking with Charlie/Shalini out of the crowd.
- Mahesh Babu as Shiva
- Rakul Preet Singh as Charlie(Telugu)/Shalini (Tamil)
- S. J. Surya as Bhairavadu (Telugu)/Sudalai (Tamil)/Bhairav (Hindi) (Voice dubbed by P. Ravi Shankar in Telugu version)
- Bharath as Bhairavadu/Sudalai/Bhairav's brother
- RJ Balaji as Vinay (Tamil)/Madhu (Telugu)
- Shaji Chen as IB Head Mathews
- Master Sanjay as Young Bhairavudu/Sudalai/Bhairav
- Priyadarshi Pullikonda as Madhu (Tamil)/Vinay (Telugu)
- Sayaji Shinde as DGP Chandrasekhar
- Nagineedu as Commissioner Gajapathi
- Jayaprakash as Shiva's father
- Dheepa Ramanujam as Shiva's mother
- Ajay Ratnam as Inspector Gokulnath
- Hareesh Peradi as CBI head
- Ravi as Bhairavadu/Sudalai/Bhairav's friend
- Sentrayan as rogue
- Himaja as Renuka
S. J. Surya was cast as antagonist for Mahesh Babu. S. J. Surya, who directed Naani with Mahesh Babu as the lead actor, marks his second collaboration. AR. Murugadoss was a former assistant of S. J. Surya in the film Vaali and Kushi. Parineeti Chopra was approached for the film, which she declined citing dates issue. Later, the role went to Rakul Preet Singh. Bharath is signed to play a negative role.
The film's principal photography commenced in July 2016. 98% of the film was mainly shot in Chennai itself, with the backdrop being changed as Hyderabad through the computer graphics for the Telugu version. The film's first look was released in April 2017. Mahesh has done the stunts without a body double by himself. Final stage of filming started at Chennai on 16 May 2017. In June 2017, it was reported that, all the talkie portions has been filmed and only two songs were pending to be filmed. Shooting mainly took place in Chennai, with some portions in and around Hyderabad and Vizag, while the songs were filmed overseas. 
|Soundtrack album by Harris Jayaraj|
|Released||9 September 2017|
22:42 (Telugu) |
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
The music is composed by Harris Jayaraj. He has composed for a Telugu film after 7 years. With the project, he also marks his fourth collaboration with AR Murugadoss after Ghajini, 7aum Arivu and Thuppakki and his second with Mahesh Babu, 11 years after Sainikudu. The audio rights for the soundtrack were bagged by Zee Music Company. The lyrics for the Tamil version of the songs will be written by Madhan Karky.
All lyrics written by Ramajogayya Sastry.
|1.||"Boom Boom"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Nikhita Gandhi||4:15|
|2.||"Ciciliya Ciciliya"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Haricharan, Shakthisree Gopalan||4:43|
|3.||"Haali Haali"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Brijesh Tripati Sandilya, Harini and Sunitha||5:31|
|4.||"Achcham Telugandham"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Pravin Saivi, Christopher Stanley, Sathya Prakash||2:57|
|5.||"Spyder on Mission"||Theme||1:14|
|6.||"Akkada Vunnavadu"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Geetha Madhuri||4:02|
All lyrics written by Madhan Karky.
|1.||"Boom Boom"||Madhan Karky||Nikhita Gandhi||4:15|
|2.||"Ciciliya Ciciliya"||Madhan Karky||Haricharan, Shakthisree Gopalan||4:43|
|3.||"Aali Aali"||Madhan Karky||Brijesh Tripati Sandilya, Harini and Sunitha||5:31|
|4.||"Otrai Iravukaai"||Madhan Karky||Pravin Saivi, Christopher Stanley, Sathya Prakash||2:57|
|5.||"Spyder on Mission"||Theme||1:14|
The film was released on 27 September 2017. Following Baahubali, Spyder is also planned to have a simultaneous release in both Telugu and Tamil and also with a Malayalam dubbed version with the same name. Tamil Nadu rights have been acquired by Lyca Productions. The film was described by India Today as "a failure".The satellite rights of the film's Tamil version were sold to Sun TV and for the Hindi version were sold to Zee Cinema.
- "Mahesh Babu, AR Murugadoss film called SPYder, first posters goes viral". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Spyder Hindi Movie, Wiki, Story, Review, Release Date, Trailers – Filmibeat". FilmiBeat.
- "Will Mahesh Babu's Spyder set new record after Baahuali 2?". The Hans India. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- SPYDER: BBFC
- "Mahesh Babu-AR Murugadosss upcoming film goes on floors". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu Rakul Preeth Singh new movie directed by A R Murugadoss first look April 12-Tamil Movie News". Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Desk, The Hindu Net. "Mahesh Babu's 'Spyder' teaser out". The Hindu. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Shhh… Its A SPYDER… Teaser out". FilmiAdda.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Cain, Rob. "'SPYder' Grosses Spectacular $17.8M (Rs. 51 Crore) Worldwide On Its First Day".
- "Spyder box office collection: Mahesh Babu-AR Murugadoss film earns Rs 50 crore opening, worldwide". 29 September 2017.
- times of india: Parineeti Chopra reveals why she opted out of the Mahesh Babu-starrer – Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 10 June 2017.
- "Parineeti Chopra signs her first South film". Filmfare. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Kavirayani, Suresh (13 May 2016). "Parineeti Chopra impresses Tollywood". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "Bharath to play a negative role in ARM-Mahesh Babu film". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "AR Murugadoss' Spyder climax begin today". Behindwoods. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu Spyder reaches next level now". Top 10 Cinema. 1 July 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Mahesh Babu's Spyder to release in September? – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Spyder likely to be postponed to September". behindwoods.com. 24 May 2017.
- "Spyder pushed to September". Deccan Chronicle. 27 May 2017. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Spyder to release on September 27". Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Spyder will have same release as Baahubali now". Top 10 Cinema. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- "Kaththi and 2.0 firm clasps Spyder". Top 10 Cinema. 25 July 2017. Retrieved 25 July 2017.