|Origin||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
Spymob is an American alternative rock band from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Best known for their appearance on the 2003 Star Trak Entertainment compilation The Neptunes present Clones, with the song "Half Steering Half Eating Ice Cream," they also provided backing instruments for N.E.R.D.'s 2002 debut In Search Of.... Their major label debut, Sitting Around Keeping Score, was the first rock album to be released on The Neptunes Star Trak label. In 2014, the band released their second album, Memphis independently. Additionally, band members John Ostby, Christian Twigg, Brent Paschke, and drummer Eric Fawcett have provided session work and touring support for other artists including N.E.R.D, Paramore, Snoop Dogg, Kelis, and Mike Doughty.
Singer/keyboardist John Ostby, bassist Christian Twigg, guitarist Brent Paschke, and drummer Eric Fawcett formed in Minneapolis in the early 90s as "Reno." Playing staples such as 2040 and Kissing the Neighborhood Houses Goodbye in local venues such as the 400 Bar, the band recorded several demo songs (later released as Basement Tapes). In 2001, the band was hired to provide studio work for N.E.R.D's In Search Of... album after a copy of their demo was discovered by Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo.
- Townhouse Stereo (Spymob, Inc, 1996)
- Basement Tapes (Spymob, Inc, 2001)
- Sitting Around Keeping Score (Arista/Star Trak Entertainment, 2003)
- Spymob EP (Spymob, Inc, 2005)
- Memphis (Spymob, 2014)
As backing band
- Wanderland Kelis (Virgin), 2001
- In Search Of... N.E.R.D (Virgin), 2002
- Haughty Melodic Mike Doughty (ATO Records), 2005 (Eric Fawcett)
- Seeing Sounds N.E.R.D (Interscope Records), 2008 (Eric Fawcett, Brett Paschke)
- Marsh, Steve (1 March 2005). "Big in Japan, anonymous in Minny.(City Limits)(Brief Article)". Mpls-St. Paul Magazine. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Kellman, Andy. "N.E.R.D. – Fly or Die". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Breihan, Tom (January 11, 2011). "N.E.R.D. - The Best of N.E.R.D." Pitchfork. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Spymob Steps Out from Behind N.E.R.D.! First Rock Band Signed to Chad & Pharrell's Arista/Startrak Joint Venture, Premiered On-Tour in 2002 As N.E.R.D.'s Opening Act AND Backing Band". www.BusinessWire.com. BusinessWire. April 3, 2003. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- SPYMOB on Facebook
- Night Watchman (July 2004). "SPYMOB'S JOHN OSTBY". www.tlchicken.com. Tastes Like Chicken, LLC. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
|This article on a United States rock music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|