Square One Mall
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Inside Square One Mall
|Opening date||August 17, 1994|
|Developer||New England Development Corporation|
|Owner||Simon Property Group (56.4%)|
|No. of stores and services||115|
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||1,000,000 sq.ft.|
|No. of floors||2|
Square One Mall (formerly the New England Shopping Center) is a 115 store shopping mall located along US Route 1 (Broadway) between Main Street and Essex Street in Saugus, Massachusetts. Anchor stores include Sears, Macy's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, T.J. Maxx, and BD's Furniture.
The mall was a $100 million project undertaken by New England Development Corporation to redevelop the former New England Shopping Center which consisted of Sears, Service Merchandise and the former General Cinemas which had closed in the mid-1980s. The construction of the mall was unique since it incorporated the previously built structure of Sears, signs of this being the difference in building materials between Sears and the rest of the mall. The mall opened for business in Summer August 17, 1994.
The mall is credited with bringing sprawl and strip development to Saugus, especially along the Route 1 corridor. Route 1 through the area is a 6 lane highway (3 lanes in each direction) with a speed limit of 50 mph (80 km/h).
Filene's Basement, one of the malls former anchors, filed for bankruptcy protection on May 4, 2009. New York’s Crown Acquisitions, made a bid to buy Filene's Basement including their famous Downtown Crossing location which closed in 2007. All Filene's Basement stores closed in December 2011.
- "Square One Mall Information". Simon Property Group. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "Drumroll begins for a big mall..." The Boston Globe. 1994-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "General Cinemas - Saugus, MA". Cinema Treasures. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Outlet Gambit Worcester Gets New Retailing Lure". The Boston Globe. 1994-10-04. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- Boston Herald, May 5, 2009 | N.Y. firm to nab 17 Filene’s Basement stores for $22M Archived September 16, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.