Squires Gate railway station
|Location||Squires Gate, Fylde|
|Classification||DfT category F2|
|1 April 1865||Stony Hill Station opened|
|1872||Stony Hill Station closed|
|14 September 1931||Squires Gate Station opened|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Squires Gate railway station serves the Squires Gate area of the popular seaside resort of Blackpool, Lancashire, England, although it is located just outside the borough boundary. It lies on the Blackpool South to Preston line and is the nearest station to Blackpool Airport. Squires Gate is located about 400 metres (1,300 ft) from Starr Gate tram stop on the Blackpool Tramway.
Between 1865 and 1872, Stony Hill railway station was located in the same area. The present station opened on 14 September 1931 by the LMS. The station was host to 12 (LMS) caravans in 1937 and 1938 followed by 17 caravans in 1939. 15 camping coaches were also positioned here by the London Midland Region from 1954 to 1967, 14 in 1968 and 1969, 11 in 1970 and 12 in 1971.
The station is unstaffed, but has been provided with a ticket machine, digital PIS screen and a long-line P.A system to offer train running information. CCTV, timetable posters and a pay phone are also available.
Squires Gate is served by an hourly service northbound to Blackpool South and southbound to Preston, operated by Northern who also manage the station. Sunday services also run on an hourly frequency, running beyond Preston to Blackburn and Colne.
- ""Blackpool History"" (PDF). (175 KiB), Blackpool Borough Council Tourism Division, accessed 17 October 2007
- Welch, M.S. (2004) Lancashire Steam Finale, Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham, ISBN 1-870754-61-1, p.31
- McRae, Andrew (1997). British Railway Camping Coach Holidays: The 1930s & British Railways (London Midland Region). Scenes from the Past: 30 (Part One). Foxline. pp. 22 & 50. ISBN 1-870119-48-7.
- "Blackpool Airport - Masterplan" (PDF). Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- Nations Rail Enquiries - Squires Gate NAtional Rail Enquiries
- GB eNRT May 2019 Edition, Table 97 (Network Rail)
- Bairstow, Martin (2001). Railways of Blackpool and the Fylde. Martin Bairstow Publications. ISBN 1-871944-23-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Squires Gate railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|South Shore||London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Blackpool and Lytham Railway