J. Richardson, 1846
Holocentrinae is a subfamily of Holocentridae containing 40 recognized species and one proposed species. Its members are typically known as squirrelfish and all are nocturnal. All three genera in the subfamily are found in the Atlantic and Holocentrus is restricted to this ocean. Most species in genera Neoniphon and Sargocentron are from the Indo-Pacific region and several of these occur in the Indian Ocean west of the southern tip of India.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2012). "Holocentridae" in FishBase. October 2012 version.
- Randal, J.E. and Heemstra, P.C. 1985. "A review of the squirrelfishes of the subfamily Holocentrinae from the Western Indian Ocean and Red Sea". Ichthyological Bulletin of the J.L.B. Smith Institute of Ichthyology; No. 49. J.L.B. Smith Institute of Ichthyology, Rhodes University.
- "Holocentrinae". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- World Register of Marine Species link: Holocentrinae (+species list)
- "Holocentrinae". National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).