Sree Narayana Trust
||It has been suggested that List of Sree Narayana Institutions be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since June 2015.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Sree Narayana Trust, also known as the Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana (SNDP) or Sree Narayana Dharma Paripalana Yogam, has been an educational organisation in the Indian state of Kerala since 1952. It is named after Narayana Guru. The institutions operated by the Trust follow his footsteps, trying to create strength through organisation and to seek liberation through education. The Trust aims to realize the high ideals of its namesake, who professed the welfare of all without any discrimination on the basis of caste, creed or religion. It was formed by a former Chief Minister of Kerala, R. Sankar, in 1952 to manage the Sree Narayana College, Kollam. Later, educational institutions were started in other parts of Kerala for the upliftment of the socially and educationally backward strata of society. Today, the Trust runs numerous educational institutions and hospitals.
Schools and colleges
SNDP founded schools and colleges in the independent India. Previously the only private colleges were those managed by the church.[clarification needed] The movement started with Sree Narayana College in Kollam. Many educational institutions were started under leadership of SNDP yogam. But soon it became quite difficult to maintain many such institutions by the Yogam, whose main objective was the propagation of Narayana Guru's vision among the masses. Under such circumstances, under the leadership of Sankar, the Sree Narayana Trust was started.
Though these educational institutions were started to help socially and economically backward sections of the society. In the recent years there had been wide spread allegations against instances of bribe and corruption in SN Trust institutions in the form of capitation fees which had malafide intentions to serve the interests of richer sections.
- "Chennithala to Support SN Trust Institutions". The New Indian Express. Express News Service. 9 November 2014. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Natesan re-elected SN Trust secretary". The Hindu. 1 May 2011. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Vellappally accepts bribe for appointment in S N Trust, says VS". kaumudiglobal.com. Retrieved 2016-10-31.
- "Pinarayi Vijayan says capitation fee is as good as corruption". http://www.deccanchronicle.com/. 2016-08-21. Retrieved 2016-10-31. External link in
- Jeffrey, Robin (1974). "The social origins of a caste association, 1875-1905: The founding of the S.N.D.P. Yogam". South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies. 1. 4 (1): 39–59. doi:10.1080/00856407408730687. (subscription required)
|This Hinduism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|