Sree Sreenivasan captured on June 9, 2010
October 28, 1970 |
|Occupation||Chief Digital Officer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art|
Sreenath "Sree" Sreenivasan (born October 28, 1970) is the chief digital officer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and a technology journalist based in New York City. He was previously the chief digital officer of Columbia University and has served as an academic administrator and professor in the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. In 2015, he was named one of Fast Company magazine's Most Creative People of the year.
Sreenivasan was born in Tokyo, Japan, and grew up in USSR, United States, Fiji, and India. Sreenivasan's father was a diplomat for the Indian government which meant his family often relocated. He attended kindergarten in Moscow, P.S. 6 in Manhattan, Marist Brothers High School in Suva, Fiji, and St. Stephen's College in Delhi, India. He graduated from Columbia University with a Bachelor of Arts in history in 1991 and received a Master of Science degree in journalism from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in 1993.
Sreenivasan was on the faculty of the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism since 1993 as a professor of professional practice. His courses at Columbia focused on new media, web design and social media in the practice of journalism as well as media entrepreneurship. Currently still serving as an adjunct professor, he also regularly runs workshops for working journalists on the advanced use of the Internet and multimedia reporting.
In 2005, Sreenivasan was appointed Dean of Students at the Journalism School, overseeing student-oriented programs. He is the former advisor to the school's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and won the David Eshelman Award for Outstanding Campus Advisor in 1998. In 2008, he was named Dean of Student Affairs, supervising admissions, student services and career services at the school. On July 11, 2012, Columbia University named Sreenivasan its first Chief Digital Officer.
Sreenivasan was appointed the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Chief Digital Officer in August 2013. In this role he supervises 70 employees throughout the museum.
Sreenivasan helped found SAJA, the South Asian Journalists Association, a group of over 1,000  journalists of South Asian origin in the U.S. and Canada and served as its first president and continues to serve on the board and as an editor and writer of SAJAforum, one of the most widely read South Asian news and analysis blogs.
He served as the "Tech Guru" on WABC-TV for six years, before moving to WNBC-TV as technology reporter in January 2007. He appeared twice a week on the air and on WNBC.com until January 2009. From 2009 through 2011, Sreenivasan helped launch and develop DNAinfo.com, a hyperlocal news startup covering Manhattan, founded by Ameritrade founder and Chicago Cubs owner Joe Ricketts.
In 2004, Newsweek magazine named him one of the 20 most influential South Asians in the U.S.
In 2007, India Abroad named him one of the 50 most Influential Indian Americans in the U.S.
In 2010, Quill magazine, published by the Society of Professional Journalists, named him one of 20 journalists to follow on Twitter 
- King, Aliya S. (April 7, 2010). "SO WHAT DO YOU DO, SREE SREENIVASAN, COLUMBIA JOURNALISM SCHOOL DEAN?". Mediabistro. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Preston, Jennifer (October 25, 2013). "So Many Stories to Tell for Met’s Digital Chief". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Most Creative People 2015: Sree Sreenivasan". Fast Company. June 2015. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Simou, Alexandra (January 31, 2005). "Covering Technology in the Morning, Teaching Journalism During the Day". New York Sun.
- "Gopal Raju, pioneer in Indian ethnic press, dies in NY". Associated Press (Malaysia Star). 2008-04-12. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- SPJ David Eshelman Outstanding Campus Adviser Award
- Sreenivasan faculty page
- Columbia University Names Sree Sreenivasan Its First Chief Digital Officer, All Things Digital. 11 July 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- Columbia Amps Online Courses, Appoints Sree Sreenivasan First Chief Digital Officer, Fast Company. By Christina Chaey. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- South Asian Journalists Association information page
- "Power and Influence". Newsweek. 2014-03-21. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- India Abroad's 50 Most Influential Indian Americans
- SPJ names four alumni 'journalists to follow' on Twitter
- "An Indian in America - Rediff.com India News". Rediff.com. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "Arjuna award winner helps shoot consumer problems". Deccan Chronicle. 2013-10-08. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- Sree.net personal site
- Sreetips.com tips site
- Meet Columbia's New Media Guru OJR.org
- An Evangelist for Technology Who Helped Invent the Game New York Sun