Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Seal of the College
ਮਾਨਸ਼ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਬੋ
Motto in English
|Behold All Human Race As One|
|Principal||Dr. J. B. Singh|
|Location||Pitam Pura, New Delhi, India|
~10.7 acres (43,000 m2)
|Nickname||GGS, SGGS, SGGSCC|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce (SGGSCC) is a premier college of the University of Delhi located in Delhi, India. It was founded in 1984 and is named after the tenth Sikh Guru. It is the second college of commerce of the University of Delhi. The college has been ranked 5th in all of delhi university for commerce courses .The college is primarily a co-educational English medium institution.It is often known for its cosmopolitan crowd and consistently rising cutoffs. In 2016 its cutoff touched as high as 97.25%
As of 2015, the college has some 1700-2000 students. The Principal is Dr J. B. Singh and the staff are almost exclusively Delhi University graduates themselves.
Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce was founded in 1984 as the second Commerce College of the University of Delhi. Strategically located near the Pitampura TV Tower, the college is managed by Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, a statutory body, constituted under an Act of Parliament. The college is named after the tenth Guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
- Dr. S.S. Gulshan (1984-1987)
- Prof. Jaswant Singh Phul (1987-2000)
- Dr. Jaspal Singh (2001-2008)
Courses and departments
The institute offers courses in the commerce and economics streams. The graduate programs offered are:
- Bachelor of Commerce with Honours.
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Economics.
- Bachelor of Commerce.
- Bachelor of Science with H
- Diploma in Business Journalism and Corporate Communication. or (D.B.J.C.C)
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Marketing. or (P.G.D.I.M)
- Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Business Economics. or (B.B.E.)
- Bachelor in Management Studies. or (B.M.S.)
- Certificate course in French Language
- Certificate course in German Language
- Foundation Course in Banking
- Short term course in tally Accounting Practices
- Integrated program in currency, commodities and derivatives.
- Financial modelling.
As per India Today - Nielsen 2016 College Rankings for Commerce courses, SGGSCC came in at rank 19 in a survey that consisted of more than 100 top colleges of India.The College achieved a rank of 11 in 2015. It also stands 8th in Delhi University for all courses as per Nielson survey 2016. "DUADMISSIONS.CO" has ranked the college 5th for commerce courses lying above various other reputed colleges of the university. The college is quite often praised for its faculty and the quality of academics taught.
The college spread over ~10.7 acres (43,000 m2) possesses infrastructure including class-rooms, grounds, a library and computer labs. The college is linked to Delhi University through Intranet and shares all electronic resources. The college also possesses a fully airconditioned 500-seate auditorium as well as an airconditioned canteen. The college also has a national level lawn tennis ground, a cricket ground, gymnasium as well as a girls hostel.
The college consists of numerous societies. These include:
- Finance society - Finance and Investment Cell
- Chess Society - Check Bouncers
- Economics Society - The Arthashastra Society.
- Dramatics Society - Manchtantra.
- The Film and Photography Society - Invictus.
- Quizzing Society - Quest.
- Rotaract Club.
- English Literary Society - Meraki.
- Debating Society - Cross Swords.
- Commerce Society - Urja.
- Computer Science Society - ACE (Association of Computer Enthusiasts)
- Business Economics and Management Studies Society - A.S.B.E.M.S(Association of Students of Business Economics and Management Studies)
- Punjabi Sahitya Sabha.
- Divinity Society.
- National Service Scheme.
- Music Society - Surveen.
- Dance Society - Misba.
- Sports Academy.
- Enactus SGGSCC.
- The Entrepreneurship Development Cell.
- Equal Opportunity Cell.
- Political Science society-Loktantra
The college has set up a placement cell in January 2005 to institutionalize the process of summer training and final placements of students from BBE, B.Sc.(Hons.) Computer Science, B.Com(pass), B.Com(Hons.), Economic(Hons.). About Post Graduate Courses: Post Graduate Diploma in International Marketing (PGDIM) and Diploma in Business Journalism And Corporate Communication (DBJCC) have got 100% placement result. Some of the organizations where the students have been placed are as follows:
- Dell Computers
- Propel PR
- Creative News
- American Express
- https://www.facebook.com/meraki.sggscc/. Missing or empty