JSS Science and Technology University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Motto in English
|Work is worship|
|Type||Government Aided Engineering College|
|Principal||Dr Syed Shakeeb-Ur-Rahman|
|Location||Mysore, Karnataka, India
120 acres (0.5 km²)
|Athletics||10 varsity teams|
|Colors||Blue and gold|
JSS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY - formerly Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering (often shortened to SJCE), is a government aided technical co-educational college located in Mysore, Karnataka, India. Established in 1963, SJCE has 12 departments in engineering, a Master of Computer Applications department. It was affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, but now is now a part of JSS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY from 2016 - 2017 academic year. The undergraduate courses were granted academic autonomy by Visvesvaraya Technological University. SJCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). It was founded and is managed by the JSS Mahavidyapeetha.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 JSS International Institute of Professional Studies
- 5 Facilities
- 6 Campus recruitments
- 7 Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park
- 8 Extracurricular activities
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 Distinguished faculty
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering which was the dream child of Dr Sri Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamigalavaru the 23rd pontiff of Suttur Matt was officially inaugurated in 1963 by Dr. T. M. A. Pai, who was the then Chairman of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education. Courses in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering branches were started first. The first batch of engineering graduates completed their course in 1968. Electronics and Communication branch of engineering was introduced in 1968 followed by bachelor's degree in Instrumentation in 1978, Computer Science and Engineering during 1982, Polymer Science and Technology in 1992 and Information Science and Engineering in the year 2000.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (first ever to be started in Karnataka State)
- Industrial and Production Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Technology
- Information Science and Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Polymer Science and Technology(One and only college which offers this course in Karnataka)
- Bio-Technology Engineering
- Construction Technology and Management
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Software and Engineering
- Automotive Electronics
- Bio-Medical Signal Processing And Instrumentations
- Bio Technology
- Computer Engineering
- Energy System And Management
- Engineering Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Health Science And Water Engineering
- Industrial Electronics
- Industrial Structures
- Maintenance Engineering
- Network And Internet Engineering
- Polymer Science and Technology
- Software Engineering
- Very Large Scale Integrated circuit design and Embedded Systems( VTU Regional Center )
- Master of Computer Application
- Master of Business Administration
JSS International Institute of Professional Studies
This was established in 1998 with the objective of helping JSS Students who are planning to go abroad for further studies. JSS IIPS is a recognized center of Edexcel, London to offer Edexcel courses in India. JSS IIPS is offering National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) courses of Edexcel. Mahavidyapeetha has entered into an agreement with University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK and University of West Virginia, USA for transfer of students. ND and HND completed students can join UK or USA Universities to pursue their studies further.
Library and Information Centre
The centre is equipped with over 70,000 volumes related to science and engineering, encyclopaedias, dictionaries, and over a hundred magazines and journals every month. It has a collection of ISI specifications, Project Reports and Dissertations, Doctoral Thesis and Proceedings of Conferences and Monographs. It provides audio visual facilities, photo copying facilities, and a book bank.
The auditorium Hall, located on one side of the staff room besides the civil engineering department, can accommodate 300 people. Complete with videorama, slide projector, LCD and overhead projector, and sound system, it is used for seminars, meetings, group use of audiovisual material, etc.
Football, hockey and cricket ground respectively, basketball, tennis, table tennis and volleyball courts respectively have been maintained by the Department of Physical Education. Outdoor and indoor recreation facility is available both during and after college hours, in its sports complex building. The college's sports council conducts annual sport events. Inter-collegiate and VTU tournaments are organized. The college also started multi-speciality Gym in 2007. Softball is also gaining popularity.
The College has separate hostel facilities for about 500 boys and 210 girls. The boys' hostel is located in the college premises, in H Block, L Block, M Block, PG Block and GH Block, all located on the north-end of the campus. The hostel runs a mess. A separate TV room and reading room are provided in the Boys' Hostel. The girls hostel is located on the south-end of the campus.
A Health Care Unit has been provided on the campus with a qualified physician. The centre works between 10.00 a.m and 2.00 p.m on all working days.
Scholarships and awards
SJCE offers scholarships and awards to students for their future education, and benefits based on their performance. The eligible students can apply for fee concession or scholarship. Endowment scholarships are also available.
SJCE offers placement assistance to its students. Often considered to be a preferred hunting ground for strong talent in the fields of Computer Science and Electronics & Communications,students at this college get placed in strong numbers by MNCs and domestic companies.Multinational companies visited during recent years are Microsoft, Broadcom, Intel, Oracle Corporation, SAP, TEKsystems Cisco Systems, Schneider Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Analog Devices, Delphi, Aricent, National Instruments, OnMobile, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, Robert Bosch GmbH, Akamai Technologies, Century Link, Ericsson, LG Corp, Volvo, Cognizant Technology Solutions, IBM, TCS, Akamai, CommVault Systems, NetApp, Avaya, Novell, Dell, Fairchild Semiconductor, Motorola, LinkedIn, Flipkart, Fidelity Investments, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Alcatel-Lucent, Applied Materials, Informatica, Red Hat, Nvidia Corporation, General Motors Company, General Electric, Intuit, Incture Technologies,Amadeus Software Labs,Shoretel,Mistral Solutions,Y Media Labs,VMware, SocGen, SuccessFactors, Honeywell Technology solution lab etc.
Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park
The Product Development Centre' identifies students' projects that are commercially viable and develop them into prototypes and test for reliability. The product is offered to the students, employees or even outsiders for being commercially exploited.
SJCE-STEP - The SJCE Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park was established with the sponsorship of Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI), Department of Science and Technology, Government of Karnataka and Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering. Some of the activities of STEP are in the areas of Entrepreneurship Development Programmes, Technology Transfer, Mass Employment Generation through Science and Technology, Information Centre etc. SJCE-STEP is one of the first 3 STEPs and has been accredited as the BEST STEP among the 14 STEPs established across the country. STEP SJCE provides services in the areas of entrepreneurship, skill development, consultancy and continuing education programmes.
Projects such as industrial design of a small Electronic Exchange equipment, cordless microphone, electronic choke for fluorescent lamps have been completed. In collaboration with the Community Polytechnic, STEP is engaged in technology transfer to rural areas. About 350 smokeless chulhas have been installed, besides putting up several biogas plants.
The Information Centre established by STEP offers its membership to industry. Reference volume standards, different types of Hand Books, information on industrial policy, and industrial licensing are available. A computer data bank on expert resources, manufacturers index, supplier index, have been created.
The Information Centre is hooked up to the National Informatics Center Network through a NICNET terminal. The SJCE-STEP is now establishing a Quality Assurance Centre.
The college has a quiz club - The Greycells. The club was started in 1999. The weekly quiz is 'WeKuiz' The SJCE students have twice won (2001 and 2003) the Times of India Ascent Quiz conducted by the Times Group in addition to other intercollegiate quizzes held in and around the city.
CSI-SJCE and IEEE-SJCE chapters conduct weekly events ranging from aptitude and technical tests to workshops. They conduct annual technical fests which are attended by students from around the nation. The CSI conducts its annual technical fest "Technologix" during the even semester. IEEE-SJCE conducts its annual technical fest "Cyberia" in every even semester and open-source fest "Tuxedo" in every odd semester. IEEE-SJCE also conducts various hands on workshop for robotics and electronics enthusiasts and has been recognized for the same in IEEE student activities community. MEA (Mechanical Engineers Association) also actively conducts events and fests. The previous fest named 'MECHmerize-2015' featured many events and competitions of which the Autoexpo had a huge following and fun events like PC gaming, RC car racing, etc. Also the association organises many industrial visits frequently. MCA Association conducts a two-day national level technical fest called as INFOTSAV.
The expertise of the Linux Campus Club - SJCE  has a goal of fostering the use of free open source software among the students. Its activities include sessions on tools, packages, programming languages and other technical topics related to FOSS, and talks by members of the open source community.
The college magazine editorial board is JC ED , they release an annual magazine Jayzine. They organize a yearly literary extravaganza called 'Shabd'. The college's annual fest 'Jayciana' is one of the popular student events in the state.
List of notable alumni who have excelled in Engineering and other fields:
- Shanmughan Manjunath, the slain IOCL officer
- Akhilesh Yadav, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- Javagal Srinath, cricketer, India
- Prahlad Srinath, tennis player
- Vijay Prakash, playback singer
- Navakant Bhat, Professor, Centre for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE), IISc Bangalore
- Srinivasa Narasimhan, Associate Professor, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
- Tomy Varghese, Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Dhananjay (actor)
- Nidhi Subbaiah
- "KARNATAKA ACT NO. 43 OF 2013 - J.S.S. SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY ACT, 2013 - Arrangement of Sections" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- TNN. "Jayachamarajendra College to be converted into a university". The Times of India (Mysuru, India). Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- "KARNATAKA EXAMINATIONS AUTHORITY - Seat Matrix - Engineering - General - seatmatrix_engg.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "jssuniversity.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "Change of College of students for Autonomous to non-autonomous and Vice-versa – reg…" (PDF). Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "History". Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "SJCE Departments". Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "SJCE over years". Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "SJCE UG Departments". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "SJCE PG Departments". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "JSS-IIPS". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Facilities". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Library and Information Centre". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "PE". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Health". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Awards and Scholarships". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Campus Recruitments". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "STEP- SJCE". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "ExtraCActivities". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Linux Campus Club - SJCE".
- KCU Courtesy : Star Of Mysore. "JAYCIANA cultural show begins at SJCE". Mysuru, India. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "Alumini". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Alumini2". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "K. Chidananda Gowda". Retrieved 27 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering.|