JSS Science and Technology University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Motto in English
|Work is worship|
|Principal||T N Nagabhushan|
Mysore, Karnataka, India|
|Colors||Blue and Saffron|
JSS Science and Technology University, or in its full name Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Science and Technology University,, formerly Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering (SJCE), is a private university located in Mysore, Karnataka, India. Established in 1963, SJCE has 12 departments in engineering, a Master of Computer Applications department. It was affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum, but now it's a part of JSS Science and Technology University from 2016 - 2017 academic year. The undergraduate courses were granted academic autonomy by Visvesvaraya Technological University. SJCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA). It was founded and is managed by the JSS Mahavidyapeetha.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 JSS International Institute of Professional Studies
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park
- 6 Extracurricular activities
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 Distinguished faculty
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering which was the dream child of Dr Sri Sri Shivarathri Rajendra Mahaswamigalavaru the 23rd pontiff of Suttur Matt was officially inaugurated in 1963 by Dr. T. M. A. Pai, who was the then Chairman of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education. Courses in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering branches were started first. The first batch of engineering graduates completed their course in 1968. Electronics and Communication branch of engineering was introduced in 1968 followed by bachelor's degree in Instrumentation in 1978, Computer Science and Engineering during 1982, Polymer Science and Technology in 1992 and Information Science and Engineering in the year 2000.
JSS International Institute of Professional Studies
This was established in 1998 with the objective of helping JSS Students who are planning to go abroad for further studies. JSS IIPS is a recognized center of Edexcel, London to offer Edexcel courses in India. JSS IIPS is offering National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) courses of Edexcel. Mahavidyapeetha has entered into an agreement with University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK and University of West Virginia, USA for transfer of students. ND and HND completed students can join UK or USA Universities to pursue their studies further.
Library and Information Centre
The centre is equipped with over 70,000 volumes related to science and engineering, encyclopedias, dictionaries, and over a hundred magazines and journals every month. It has a collection of ISI specifications, Project Reports and Dissertations, Doctoral Thesis and Proceedings of Conferences and Monographs. It provides audio visual facilities, photo copying facilities, and a book bank.
The auditorium Hall, located on one side of the staff room besides the civil engineering department, can accommodate 300 people. Complete with videorama, slide projector, LCD and overhead projector, and sound system, it is used for seminars, meetings, group use of audiovisual material, etc.
Football, hockey and cricket ground respectively, basketball, tennis, table tennis and volleyball courts respectively have been maintained by the Department of Physical Education. Outdoor and indoor recreation facility is available both during and after college hours, in its sports complex building. The college's sports council conducts annual sport events. Inter-collegiate and VTU tournaments are organized. The college also started multi-speciality Gym in 2007. Softball is also gaining popularity.
The College has separate hostel facilities for about 500 boys and 210 girls. The boys' hostel is located in the college premises, in H Block, L Block, M Block, PG Block and GH Block, all located on the north-end of the campus. The hostel runs a mess. A separate TV room and reading room are provided in the Boys' Hostel. The girls hostel is located on the south-end of the campus. Another girls hostel is located approximately 3 Kilometres away from the college, in Hootagalli industrial estate.
A Health Care Unit has been provided on the campus with a qualified physician. The centre works between 10.00 a.m and 2.00 p.m on all working days.
Scholarships and awards
SJCE offers scholarships and awards to students for their future education, and benefits based on their performance. The eligible students can apply for fee concession or scholarship. Endowment scholarships are also available.
Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park
The Product Development Centre' identifies students' projects that are commercially viable and develop them into prototypes and test for reliability. The product is offered to the students, employees or even outsiders for being commercially exploited.
SJCE-STEP - The SJCE Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Park was established with the sponsorship of Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI), Department of Science and Technology, Government of Karnataka and Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering. Some of the activities of STEP are in the areas of Entrepreneurship Development Programmes, Technology Transfer, Mass Employment Generation through Science and Technology, Information Centre etc. SJCE-STEP is one of the first 3 STEPs and has been accredited as the BEST STEP among the 14 STEPs established across the country. STEP SJCE provides services in the areas of entrepreneurship, skill development, consultancy and continuing education programmes.
Projects such as industrial design of a small Electronic Exchange equipment, cordless microphone, electronic choke for fluorescent lamps have been completed. In collaboration with the Community Polytechnic, STEP is engaged in technology transfer to rural areas. About 350 smokeless chulhas have been installed, besides putting up several biogas plants.
The Information Centre established by STEP offers its membership to industry. Reference volume standards, different types of Hand Books, information on industrial policy, and industrial licensing are available. A computer data bank on expert resources, manufacturers index, supplier index, have been created.
The Information Centre is hooked up to the National Informatics Center Network through a NICNET terminal. The SJCE-STEP is now establishing a Quality Assurance Centre. 1
The college has a quiz club - The Greycells. The club was started in 1999. The weekly quiz is 'WeKuiz' The SJCE students have twice won (2001 and 2003) the Times of India Ascent Quiz conducted by the Times Group in addition to other intercollegiate quizzes held in and around the city.
CSI-SJCE and IEEE-SJCE chapters conduct weekly events ranging from aptitude and technical tests to workshops. They conduct annual technical fests which are attended by students from around the nation. The CSI conducts its annual technical fest "Technologix" during the even semester. IEEE-SJCE conducts its annual technical fest "Cyberia" in every even semester and open-source fest "Tuxedo" in every odd semester. IEEE-SJCE also conducts various hands on workshop for robotics and electronics enthusiasts and has been recognized for the same in IEEE student activities community. MEA (Mechanical Engineers Association) also actively conducts events and fests. The previous fest named 'MECHmerize-2015' featured many events and competitions of which the Autoexpo had a huge following and fun events like PC gaming, RC car racing, etc. Also the association organises many industrial visits frequently. MCA Association conducts a two-day national level technical fest called as INFOTSAV.
The expertise of the Linux Campus Club - SJCE has a goal of fostering the use of free open source software among the students. Its activities include sessions on tools, packages, programming languages and other technical topics related to FOSS, and talks by members of the open source community.
The college magazine editorial board is JC ED , they release an annual magazine Jayzine. They organize a yearly literary extravaganza called 'Shabd'. The college's annual fest 'Jayciana' is one of the popular student events in the state.
Sahas - SJCE Adventure Club which organizes trekking, rafting, and mountaineering.
Notable alumni include:
- Akhilesh Yadav, former CM of Uttar Pradesh
- Shanmughan Manjunath, the slain IOCL officer
- Javagal Srinath, cricketer, India
- Prahlad Srinath, tennis player
- Vijay Prakash, playback singer
- Nidhi Subbaiah, Model & Actress[better source needed]
- Dhananjay, Actor[better source needed]
- Rishi (Kannada actor),[better source needed]
- Meghana Shanbough, Karnataka’s 1st Woman Fighter Pilot
- "Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering - Faculty".
- "KARNATAKA ACT NO. 43 OF 2013 - J.S.S. SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY ACT, 2013 - Arrangement of Sections" (PDF). Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- TNN. "Jayachamarajendra College to be converted into a university". The Times of India. Mysuru, India. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "KARNATAKA EXAMINATIONS AUTHORITY - Seat Matrix - Engineering - General - seatmatrix_engg.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "State-wise List of Private Universities as on 6.10.2017" (PDF). www.ugc.ac.in. University Grants Commission. 6 October 2017. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "jssuniversity.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "Change of College of students for Autonomous to non-autonomous and Vice-versa – reg…" (PDF). Retrieved 22 June 2016.
- "History". Archived from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "SJCE Departments". Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "SJCE over years". Archived from the original on August 1, 2013. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "JSS-IIPS". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Facilities". Archived from the original on 22 July 2012. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Library and Information Centre". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "PE". Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Health". Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Awards and Scholarships". Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "STEP- SJCE". Archived from the original on 2 May 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "ExtraCActivities". Archived from the original on 4 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Linux Campus Club - SJCE".
- KCU Courtesy : Star Of Mysore. "JAYCIANA cultural show begins at SJCE". Mysuru, India. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- Jovita Aranha. "Meet the Karnataka Girl Who Just Became South India's 1st Woman Fighter Pilot". Karnataka, India. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Alumini2". Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- TNN. "Karnatakas first woman fighter pilot dreams of flying Rafale". The Times of India. Karnataka, India. Retrieved 17 June 2018.
- "K. Chidananda Gowda". Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering.|