Sri Lanka Air Force Regiment Special Force
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|SLAF Regiment Special Force|
|Active||2003 - Present|
|Branch||Sri Lanka Air Force|
Air Base Defence
|Part of||Directorate Of Operations, Sri Lanka Air Force|
|Engagements||Sri Lankan Civil War|
|Wing Commander Harishchandra Herath|
Regiment Special Force is an elite Special Forces unit of the Sri Lanka Air Force, part of the SLAF Regiment. This was formerly Air Base Defence Rescue Squadron established on 7 July 2003. This squadron was formed due to the Bandaranaike Airport attack by the LTTE.
Fourth flight of the Regiment Special Force passed out on 17 February 2007.
The task and role of RSF's Squadrons involves
- Recapturing air bases.
- Provide defenses in an enemy attack as a rapid deployment force.
- Rescue operations and recovering of downed air crew in enemy or friendly terrain.
- Protection of senior air force officers.
- Assist civil authorities in national emergency.
The unit's personnel are trained in air base rescue operations, field craft, bomb disposal, fire fighting, water survival and rescue operations. Advanced training is carried out at the Sri Lanka Army Special Force training school at Maduruoya.
- Military of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Air Force
- Military ranks and insignia of the Sri Lanka Air Force
- Sri Lanka Army Commando Regiment
- Sri Lanka Army Special Forces Regiment
- Special Boat Squadron