|Directed by||Prafulla Sengupta|
|Produced by||Ruprang Pvt Ltd.|
|Starring||Akshaya Mohanty (Kashyap)
|Music by||Balakrushna Das|
Sri Lokanath (1960) is an Odia film directed by Prafulla Sengupta, and based on the story by Aswini Kumar Ghosh. The Indian socio-fantasy film won a National Film Award in 1960, and was the 11th Odia film produced under Ruprang Pvt. Ltd.
Dr. Ajay Patanayak, a doctor by profession doesn't believe in the existing of God. His wife Basanti having no child has immense faith in God. she is also deeply attached to his brother in law Bijay. Laxmi, a neighbor has love interest with Bijay. Bijay visits Puri's Sri Lokanath Temple for blessing with a hope to his sister in law gets a son. Basanti becomes pregnant and delivers a son. The happy family named the child as "Lokanath" after the deity. As Lokanath grows up, bijay feels neglected by the family and leaves the house. Bijay becomes a tutor in Jaipur. In the meanwhile his love interest Laxmi marries to a Zamindar named Surya of Puri.
Three year elapse, Basanti and his husband in Puri to offer oblation to Lord Sri Lokanath but they are however prevented from visiting the temple by a storm. The chile Lokanath is bitten by a snake and his body is taken to cremation ground. Basanti now suffering from amnesia starts pilgrimage with her husband. And in the meanwhile Bijay involved in an accident becomes half mad.
years gone by, Laxmi and Surya have got a daughter Uma, who has a love interest with Ashok, son of Prakash, a friend of Surya. One day Ashok, while driving a lunatic thrusts himself upon his car.Ashok takes him to Uma's house, where Uma recognize the man as Bijay. the massage conveyed to Ajay & Basanti. Bijay recovers partly his memory in Sri Lokanath Temple
Basant feels attracted towards Ashok and tries to arrange the marriage of Uma with him. Prakash discloses that Ashok is not his child, after seeing Ashok's child photo Ajay & Basanti recognizes him as their own child Loknath.All the family members are united and go to Sri Loknath Temple. Ajay lastly admits that some heavenly power is guiding human destiny.
Cast and crew
- Director:Prafulla Sengupta
- Story:Aswini Kumar Ghosh
- Dialogues:Bipin Mohanty
- Screenplay:Premendra Mitra.
- Editor:Sukumar Sengupta
- Music:Balakrushna Das
- Art Director:Ramanada Sengupta
- Cinematographer:Ramananda Sen Gupta
- Cast: Manimala, Urbashi, Shanti, Kananbala, Annapurna, Indumati, Nirmala, Babi, Akshaya Mohanty(kashyap), Soumendra, Bimala, Khagendra Pande, Tima, Kshetrapal, Shibu, Dukhiram Swain, Pitabasa, Kshirod, Brundaban, Anadi, Banchanidhi, Sailen, Dayanidhi, Benudhar, Manmohan, Nityananda, Paramananda, Bishnu, Madhusudan, etc. have played the important roles in the film. Kamal Kumari Mohapatra, Indrajit Ghosh were the child artists.
- Phoola Rasiyare -Sandhya Mukherjee
- Chanhena Chanhena Michha E Bandhana
- Tuki Paradeshi Nija Deshe
- Aji akashe ki ranga lagila chora pabane
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1402563/, IMDB, Sri Lokanath (1960), Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- http://www.welcomeorissa.com/oriya_film_industry.php, Oriya Film Industry, Retrieved 18 February 2011.
- "Srilokanath 1960". OdiaHits.com.
- "8th National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. Retrieved 7 September 2011.