Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam
|Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam|
|Chancellor||ESL Narasimhan, Governor of Andhra Pradesh|
|Location||Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India|
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam (Sri Padmavati University) is a women's university in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India. It was established as a state university by the Andhra Pradesh legislature in 1983, named after the goddess Sri Padmavati, the consort of Lord Venkateswara. The university has approximately 3,000 students.
The campus of Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam covers 138 acres (56 hectares) located in a semi-urban area at the foot of the sacred Tirumala Hills. Funds for the development are received from UGC and State Government.
It is a state university admitting students from all three regions of Andhra Pradesh namely Rayalaseema, Telengana and Coastal Andhra. The University was established to provide professional education for women.
The university has linkages with foreign universities and national organisations. Some notable linkages are:
- Staff development programme with the Department of Education, Loughborough University, UK, with financial assistance from the Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education and the British Council through the overseas Development Administrative Programme.
- Women Entrepreneurship Development with the Department of Business Management and Entrepreneurship, Université de Montréal, Canada.
- An exchange programme with the Chinese Government for the promotion of research in Sericulture.
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam is a unitary university with 16 departments having 52 programme options: five postgraduate diploma, four undergraduate, 16 postgraduate, 14 M.Phil. and 14 Ph.D. programmes. Remedial teaching to the academically weaker students and the organisation of pre-examination coaching to backward community students are undertaken.
New features are courses that have a great demand in the job market such as MBA in Media Management, Integrated (5 year) course in Bio Technology, Bachelor of Physical Education and BioInformatics. The university also offers courses in Distance Education mode.
The university is accredited with four stars by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council.
Prof. G. Sarojamma has been appointed as Vice-Chancellor of Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam in February, 2008. Prof.Manjuvani is the Registrar.
- Vice Chancellor of Padmavathi University should be removed
- Report (2002?) by National Assessment and Accreditation Council, India
|This Indian university, college or other educational institution-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|