|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Madras
|Occupation||Founder and CEO of Zoho Corporation|
Vembu holds a PhD. in Electrical Engineering from Princeton University. He has been in the news not only for creating one of the first online (Cloud Computing) office suites as a company, but also for the unique staffing practices of Zoho which hires economically disadvantaged high school graduates and puts them through two years of education with a strong focus on engineering / software. Such "Zoho University" graduates now make up 10% of their workforce. Despite increasing growth and market presence, Vembu has stated that he wants Zoho to stay independent.
A commentary featured by Forbes in 2008 on Vembu focuses on the boot-strapped model which he stuck to while building AdventNet. Reportedly, the adherence to this model had no ill effects on its performance and profitability. Also highlighted is his decision to remain independent in spite of aggressive bidding by Marc Benioff, CEO of enterprise cloud computing company, Salesforce.com.
- "AdventNet Inc is now ZOHO Corporation". Zoho Blogs. 27 May 2009.
- "Happily Bootstrapping: Zoho CEO Sridhar Vembu (Part 1)". Sridhar Vembu interview. 10 Jul 2007.
- "Working Webware: Zoho takes on Microsoft, Google". Youtube.
- "Capitalizing on Cloud Computing". Foxbusiness.com.
- "OreillyMedia: Sridhar Vembu of Zoho talks about training and hiring young professionals whom others disregard". Youtube.
- "Zoho CEO Sridhar Vembu: Aiming for 'contextual super apps'". zdnet.com.
- "The Smartest Unknown Indian Entrepreneur". Forbes:Sramana Mitra of Forbes queries Sridhar Vembu on its Unique Hiring Practices and Track record of Boot Strapping Businesses. 22 February 2008.