Srinivas is the pronunciation of the Sanskrit Srinivasa (Sanskrit श्रीनिवास), in Hindi and other modern Indian languages that drop a final short ‘a’. It is a name for males in India as well as a family surname. The word Srinivas is combination of two Sanskrit words, Shri (श्री) and nivasa (निवास). This is the stem form of the word (before case inflections are added) in Sanskrit. Shrinivas is the stem form of the word (before case inflections are added). Shrinivasan (श्रीनिवासन्) is the singular nominative form.
Shri means 'radiance' or 'diffusing light'; nivasa means 'place of residence'. who is considered to be the source of light (as a metaphor for life) in Hindu scriptures.
Srinivas is a modernized version of the original Sanskrit/Hindu name Srinivasa. The use of the word Srinivasan (also written as Sreenivasan) instead of Srinivas is common in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Similarly, the dialectical word, Srinivasulu, is commonly used in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. The name is also very much prevalent in Orissa, Maharastra and Karnataka, among other parts of India.
The other variants in English spelling include Sreenivas, Shrinivas, Shreenivas, Srinibas, Shrinibas.
The name Srinivas is also kept for new houses.
Music and art
- Srinivas Avasarala, Actor
- P. B. Sreenivas, Indian singer
- Srinivas, Singer
- U. Srinivas, Indian musician
- Vandemataram Srinivas, Indian musician
- Dharmapuri Srinivas, Indian politician
- Grandhi Srinivas, Indian politician
- Kamineni Srinivas, Indian politician
- Ullal Srinivas Mallya, Indian politician
- Srinivasa Ramanujan, Indian mathematician
- Vaman Srinivas Kudva, Indian businessman
- G. Srinivasan, Indian film maker
- M. B. Sreenivasan, Indian music director
- N. Srinivasan, Indian industrialist, chemical engineer, sports administrator and socialite
- P. Seenivasan, Indian politician, Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly from 1971 to 1972
- R. Srinivasan, Indian politician, member of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly
- T. E. Srinivasan, Indian cricketer
- T. N. Srinivasan, economist
- Srinivasan Keshav, scientist
- Sreenivasan (actor), Malayalam script writer and actor
- Akhila Srinivasan, Indian business woman
- Hari Sreenivasan (b. 1974), Indian-American TV journalist
- Krishnan Srinivasan, Indian diplomat
- Mandyam Srinivasan, Australian scientist
- Rangaswamy Srinivasan, scientist
- Rettamalai Srinivasan, Indian politician
- Sri Srinivasan, American judge
- Subramaniam Srinivasan, Indian filmmaker
- Thengai Srinivasan, Indian actor
- Vineeth Sreenivasan, Indian singer
- Yogi Srinivasan, Indian actor
- Srinivasa Prabu, Indian Software Engineer
- Venkateswara, Hindu deity
|given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|