Sriram Ramaswamy at the Royal Society admissions day in London in 2016
|Born||10 November 1957|
|Thesis||Solid like behaviour in liquid layers: a theory of the yield stress in smectics (1983)|
Sriram Rajagopal Ramaswamy (born 10 November 1957) FRS is a Professor at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and was on leave (2012–16) as Director of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences in Hyderabad.
Ramaswamy completed high school at the Modern School, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi, and then moved to the University of Maryland where he was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in Physics with high honours in 1977. He completed his PhD in theoretical physics at the University of Chicago, graduating in 1983. He completed postdoctoral research at the University of Pennsylvania.
Ramaswamy is a theoretician whose research investigates nonequilibrium statistical physics, soft matter, condensed matter physics and biological physics. His research helped found the field of active matter, which studies the motility and related collective behaviour of objects that convert local energy input into autonomous motion.
He is widely known for formulating the hydrodynamic equations governing the alignment, flow, mechanics and statistical properties of suspensions of self-propelled creatures, on scales from a cell to the ocean. Key predictions—that macroscopically aligned flocks of swimming bacteria are impossible, and that the addition of swimmers to a fluid can make the viscosity arbitrarily small—have been confirmed in recent experiments. His insight into nonliving imitations of self-propulsion has led to design principles for chemotactic colloids, the first experiments observing giant number fluctuations in flocks, and the creation of flocks with a tiny minority of motile constituents.
Awards and honours
Among the awards he has received for his research are the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 2000 and the Infosys Prize in 2011. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2016.
- Anon (2016). "Professor Sriram Ramaswamy FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 29 April 2016. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
"All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Sriram Ramaswamy publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Sriram Ramaswamy Homepage". iisc.ernet.in. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- "Sriram Ramaswamy CV" (PDF). Hyderabad: tifrh.res.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 May 2016.
- Ramaswamy, Sriram Rajagopal (1983). Solid like behavior in liquid layers: a theory of the yield stress in smectics (PhD thesis). University of Chicago. OCLC 17122087.
- "Professor Sriram Ramaswamy: Physical Sciences, 2011". infosys-science-foundation.com. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016.
- Marchetti, M. C.; Joanny, J. F.; Ramaswamy, S.; Liverpool, T. B.; Prost, J.; Rao, Madan; Simha, R. Aditi (2013). "Hydrodynamics of soft active matter". Reviews of Modern Physics. 85 (3): 1143–1189. Bibcode:2013RvMP...85.1143M. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.85.1143.
- Toner, John; Tu, Yuhai; Ramaswamy, Sriram (2005). "Hydrodynamics and phases of flocks" (PDF). Annals of Physics. 318 (1): 170–244. Bibcode:2005AnPhy.318..170T. doi:10.1016/j.aop.2005.04.011.
- Kumar, Abhishek; Maitra, Ananyo; Sumit, Madhuresh; Ramaswamy, Sriram; Shivashankar, G. V. (21 January 2014). "Actomyosin contractility rotates the cell nucleus". Scientific Reports. 4 (1): 3781. Bibcode:2014NatSR...4E3781K. doi:10.1038/srep03781. ISSN 2045-2322. PMC 3896915. PMID 24445418.
- Ramaswamy, Sriram (2010). "The Mechanics and Statistics of Active Matter". Annual Review of Condensed Matter Physics. 1 (1): 323–345. arXiv:1004.1933. Bibcode:2010ARCMP...1..323R. doi:10.1146/annurev-conmatphys-070909-104101.
- Narayan, V.; Ramaswamy, S.; Menon, N. (2007). "Long-Lived Giant Number Fluctuations in a Swarming Granular Nematic". Science. 317 (5834): 105–108. arXiv:cond-mat/0612020. Bibcode:2007Sci...317..105N. doi:10.1126/science.1140414. PMID 17615353.
- Levine, Dov; Lubensky, T. C.; Ostlund, Stellan; Ramaswamy, Sriram; Steinhardt, Paul Joseph; Toner, John (1985). "Elasticity and Dislocations in Pentagonal and Icosahedral Quasicrystals". Physical Review Letters. 54 (14): 1520–1523. Bibcode:1985PhRvL..54.1520L. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.54.1520. PMID 10031060.
- Aditi Simha, R.; Ramaswamy, Sriram (2002). "Hydrodynamic Fluctuations and Instabilities in Ordered Suspensions of Self-Propelled Particles". Physical Review Letters. 89 (5): 058101. arXiv:cond-mat/0108301. Bibcode:2002PhRvL..89e8101A. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.89.058101. PMID 12144468.
- Kumar, Nitin; Soni, Harsh; Ramaswamy, Sriram; Sood, A. K. (2014). "Flocking at a distance in active granular matter". Nature Communications. 5: 4688. arXiv:1402.4262. Bibcode:2014NatCo...5.4688K. doi:10.1038/ncomms5688. PMID 25181961.
- "Celebrating 22 Years of H. K. Firodia Awards for Excellence in Science & Technology". H. K. Firodia Memorial Foundation. Retrieved 1 May 2018.