|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Elevation||409 m (1,342 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The town (as well as the mandal) of Srisailam is reputed for the shrine of Lord Mallikarjuna on the flat top of Nallamala Hills. It has played a dominant role in the Hindu religious, cultural and social history since ancient times. The epigraphical evidence reveals that the history of Srisailam began with the Satavahanas who were the first empire builders in South India. The earliest known historical mention of the hill, Srisailam, can be traced to the King Vasishthiputra Pulumavi's Nasik inscription of 1st Century A.D. Srisailam or Srisailamu (Śrīśailaṁ, Śrīśailamu) is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh, India. It is on the banks of the Krishna River about 212 km south of Hyderabad and 179 km from Kurnool. It is sometimes spelled Shrishailam.
Srisailam is located at  It has an average elevation of 409 meters (1345 ft)..
The Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple located in Srisailam is one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples dedicated to Lord Shiva. Earlier, it was called Srigiri. The Bhramarambha Temple is also located in the same complex. It is considered as one of the eighteen Shakti Peethas in India. Bhramarambha is a very ferocious deity. Originally she was worshipped by the Chenchu people. However, during British rule, the temple was taken over by the Pushpagiri peetham forcibly with the help of the British Government ruling the Madras Presidency.
Tradition, literature as well as epigraphical sources state that the sacred hill of Srisailam has four gateways in the four cardinal directions namely,
- Tripuranthakam is in Prakasam District in the east where God Tripurantakeshwara Swamy and Goddess Tripurasundari Devi are presiding deities.
- Siddhavatam is located on the bank of the river Penna in Kadapa District in the south where Jyothisideswara Swamy and Goddess Kamakshi Devi are the presiding deities.
- Alampur is on the bank of the river Tungabhadra in Mahaboobnagar District in the west where Navabrahma Alayas, a group of nine temples of the Chalukya period, are. This Kshetram is also the seat of Goddess Jogulamba, one of the eighteen Mahasakthis.
- Umamaheswaram is located in Rangapur, Achampeta Mandal, Mahaboobnagar District in the North where God Umamaheswara Swamy and Goddess Umamaheswari Devi are the presiding deities.
Besides the main gateways, there are four Secondary Gateways in the four corners:
- Eleswaram: Located in Mahaboobnagar District now submerged in the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam in the northeast with Eleswara Swamy and Katyani as presiding deities.
- Somasila: Located on the bank of the river Penna in the southeast with Skanda Someshwara as the presiding deity.
- Pushpagiri: Located in Kadapa District in the southwest with Santana Malleshwara as presiding deity.
- Sangameswaram: Located at the confluence of the River Krishna and Tungabhadra in Kurnool District in the northwest and submerged at Srisailam Dam with Sangameswara as presiding deity. This temple has been re-built at Alampur.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Srisailam.|
- Srisaila Devasthana Official Website
- Rent a Car Srisailam to Nagarjunasagar
- Ancient Srisaila Pancha Mutts Official Website
- http://www.kalagnani.com An Official website Sri Pothuluru Veerabrahmendra Swami, Kandimallayapalle, Kadapa Dist.
- Srisaila Mallanna Darsanam, Travel Information
- Srisailam map
- Hyderabad Srisailam travel map
- Srisaila Devasthanam
- The 12 Jyotirlingams
- Srisailam and Akkamahadevi Caves Tri
- Hyderabad to Srisailam Buses
- Narasaraopet to Srisailam Cabs
- Mahabubnagar to Srisailam Cabs
- Ongole to Srisailam Cabs
- Kurnool to Srisailam Cabs
- Nalgonda to Srisailam Cabs
- Chilakaluripet to Srisailam Cabs
- Hyderabad to Srisailam Cabs
- Hyderabad to Srisailam Cabs 2 days
- Guntur to Srisailam Cabs
- Chirala to Srisailam Cabs
- Tenali to Srisailam Cabs
- Kadapa to Srisailam Cabs
- Vijayawada to Srisailam Cabs
- Khammam to Srisailam Cabs
- Gudivada to Srisailam Cabs
- Srisailam to Mantralayam Cabs
- Srisailam to Yadagirigutta Cabs
- Srisailam to Nagarjuna Sagar Cabs