Stéphane Denève (born 24 November 1971) is a French conductor. Born in Tourcoing, France, and a graduate of the Paris Conservatoire, Denève has worked as conducting assistant to Sir Georg Solti with the Orchestre de Paris, Georges Prêtre at the Opéra National de Paris, and Seiji Ozawa at the Saito Kinen Festival Matsumoto in 1998.
Denève assumed the post of music director of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra (RSNO) in September 2005, his first music directorship. In his first season, he led the RSNO at the 2006 Proms concerts in London, and its first-ever performance in France. In April 2007, he extended his contract with the Orchestra through 2011. In March 2010, the RSNO announced the further extension of Denève's contract for one more year, and the conclusion of his tenure after the 2011-2012 season. Denève and the RSNO have made several commercial recordings for the Naxos and Chandos labels, including works of Albert Roussel and Guillaume Connesson.
In October 2009, Denève first guest-conducted the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra (RSO Stuttgart) as a substitute for Michel Plasson. Based on that appearance, in March 2010, the RSO Stuttgart announced the appointment of Denève as its 6th chief conductor, starting with the 2011-2012 season. His initial Stuttgart contract was for 3 years through the 2013-2014 season. In June 2013, the RSO Stuttgart announced the extension of his contract through the 2015-2016 season. In November 2013, Denève first guest-conducted the Brussels Philharmonic. In June 2014, the Brussels Philharmonic announced the appointment of Denève as its next chief conductor, effective with the 2015-2016 season.
Denève made his USA conducting debut at Santa Fe Opera in 1999 with Poulenc's Dialogues des Carmelites. His first appearance as guest conductor with The Philadelphia Orchestra was in 2007. In April 2014, The Philadelphia Orchestra named Denève its next principal guest conductor, effective with the 2014-2015 season.
- Tim Cornwell, "Swing time for Stéphane". The Scotsman, 1 October 2005.
- Sarah Jones (2006-02-19). "Avant garde alliance". Scotland on Sunday. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Phil Miller (2007-04-19). "RSNO to retain music director and receive £750,000 from executive". The Herald. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "RSNO Music Director commits through 2012 and announces new European appointment" (Press release). Royal Scottish National Orchestra. March 2010. Retrieved 2010-03-06.
- Phil Miller (2010-03-04). "National orchestra maestro to leave Scotland". The Herald. Retrieved 2010-03-06.
- Tim Ashley (2007-06-08). "Roussel: Bacchus et Ariane; Symphony No 3, RSNO/ Denève". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Tim Ashley (2008-06-13). "Roussel: Symphony No 2; Suite in F; Pour une Fête de Printemps, RSNO/ Denève". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Rowena Smith (2010-02-28). "RSNO/Denève (Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow)". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-03-06.
- Götz Thieme (2011-09-22). "Am Pult des RSO steht nun ein Lockenkopf". Stuttgarter Zeitung. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- "Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart: Neuer Chefdirigent - Stéphane Denève ist ab September 2011 Chefdirigent beim RSO Stuttgart" (Press release). Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra. 3 March 2010. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- "Dirigent Denève bleibt bis 2016" (Press release). SWR. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Roeland Byl (2014-06-27). "Brussels Philharmonic profileert zich met nieuwe dirigent". Knack. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- James McCarthy (2014-06-27). "Stéphane Denève to become Chief Conductor of the Brussels Philharmonic". Gramophone. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Anthony Tommasini (1999-08-07). "Music Review: A Striking New Design For Poulenc's Nuns". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- "The Philadelphia Orchestra Appoints Conducting Roster of Principal Guest Conductor, Conductor-in-Residence, and Assistant Conductor" (Press release). The Philadelphia Orchestra. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- "Annual Review 2008: Principal's Review". www1.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Matthew Westphal (24 July 2007). "Love Among the Grapevines: Conductor Weds Between Performances at Napa Valley's Festival del Sole". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- Michael Tumelty (2010-09-15). "A modern-day hero". The Herald. Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- Stéphane Denève official website
- Royal Scottish National Orchestra official website
- Stéphane Denève at IMG Artists
- Biography (in French)
- David Nice, "Black eye from the maestro guy?" I'll think of something later blog, 15 November 2010.
|Principal Conductor, Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra
|Chief Conductor, Brussels Philharmonic