St. Agnes Boys High School
|St. Agnes Boys High School|
|555 West End Avenue
New York City (Upper West Side, Manhattan), New York 10024
('Character and Strength')
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic;
|Enrollment||approx. 260 (2011)|
|Average class size||25|
|Color(s)||Maroon and white|
|Slogan||"The Streets Stop Here"|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
Saint Agnes Boys High School was a small, all-boys, private Catholic high school on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. It was run by the Marist Brothers in conjunction with the Archdiocese of New York. The mascot of St. Agnes was the stag.
The original high school building was located on East 44th Street between Lexington and Third Avenue, directly behind St. Agnes Church on 43rd Street. St. Agnes later relocated its school to the Upper West Side. The West 87th Street school closed in June 2013. The plight of the private Catholic school closures in the New York City area was covered in the New York Times, the New York Daily News, and CBS News. As of 2014, the closed school remains gated.
The Advanced Placement Program allowed high school students to earn college credits. St. Agnes offered Advanced Placement courses in American History, English, Studio Art, and Spanish. It also offered elective courses in a variety of disciplines to students in their junior and senior years.
Extra Curricular Activities
- JV and Varsity Basketball
- Varsity Baseball
- Varsity Soccer
- Cross Country/Indoor and Outdoor Track
- Drama Club
- Mock Trial
- Habitat for Humanity Service
- National Honor Society
- Math League
- Music Club
- Asian-American Society Club
- Chess Club
- Student Council
- Seán Sammon - Superior General of the Marist Brothers order
- William G. Parrett - Former CEO of Deloitte Touche, Current Chairman and Senior Partner of Deloitte and Touche
Rosario R. Di Maria Retired Lieutenant Colonel, USAF. Graduate of Class 1958. Prior Unit Commander at Aviano Air Base, Italy and prior Unit Commander at the 57th Fighter Weapons Wing at Nells AFB, Nevada. Served in Southeast Asia during Vietnam War from 1968-1970 and was awarded the Bronze Star. Honorably Retired with 4 Meritorius Service Medals, The Air Force Commendation Medal and Vietnam Service Medal. BS Degree from NYU, MEd Degree from Mercer University. MBA (equiv)( from USAF Air University. Graduate of Squadron Officers School; graduate of Air Command And Staff School;'completed Air University studies. Aided in the creation of St. Agnes HS For Boys Alumni Associatpn.
- MSA-CSS. "MSA-Commission on Secondary Schools". Retrieved 2009-05-27.
- Otterman, Sharon (January 22, 2013). "New York Archdiocese to Close 24 Schools". New York Times. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Two dozen Catholic schools in NYC area slated to close". NY Daily News. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "It’s Last Week For 26 Schools In NY Archdiocese « CBS New York". cbslocal.com. Retrieved 14 December 2014.