St. Agnes Hospital (Baltimore)
|Saint Agnes Hospital|
|Location||900 S. Caton Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Affiliated university||The Johns Hopkins Hospital and the University of Maryland Medical Center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Maryland|
It is licensed and accredited with a Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission, is designated as an American Society for Bariatric Surgery Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence and is a Level IIIB Perinatal Referral Center for Maryland. St. Agnes Hospital is a member of Ascension Health, the largest non-profit health care organization in the nation.
The first Catholic hospital in Baltimore, Saint Agnes hospital has a long tradition of Catholic health care ministry serving the people of their community with a special concern for those who are poor and vulnerable.
It was founded in 1823, as the Baltimore Infirmary, by the Daughters of Charity to provide nursing care for the poor. In 1876 the facility moved to its present location. In 1898 it became a sanitarium for patients suffering from mental illness and drug addiction. The hospital was reorganized as a full-service hospital in 1906 with the appointment of Dr. Joseph Colt Bloodgood as Chief of the Medical Staff, and continues to host the country’s second oldest surgery residency program.
Chest Pain Emergency Center
Raymond D. Bahr, M.D. is credited with the Early Heart Attack Care (EHAC). The first Chest Pain Emergency Center in the world began at Saint Agnes Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Developed in response to sudden death problems from heart attacks in the community, the idea of having a Chest Pain Center as part of the emergency department along with an educational community awareness program quickly spread across the nation and around the world.
Site for International Early Lung Cancer Action Program
Saint Agnes Hospital publishes a free magazine called 360: Your Health From Every Angle. The magazine reviews new health services from the hospital and includes healthy living tips. It also publishes a health e-newsletter.
- Seton Imaging Center
- Seton Medical Group
Citations and footnotes
- "Licensed Acute Care Hospital Beds Fiscal Year 2018" (PDF). mhcc.maryland.gov. Retrieved Jan 9, 2018.
- "Surgical Review Corporation". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-09. Retrieved 2007-08-06.
- http://www.stagnes.org/pdfs/FactSheet_Main.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Our Mission Archived 2006-05-07 at Archive.today
- "150 Years of Saint Agnes Hospital". Saint Agnes Hospital. Retrieved 2012-12-31.
- Early Heart Attack Care
- Chest Pain Centers: Past, Present, and Future ~ Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Find a Lung Cancer Screening Site - IELCAP Archived 2007-08-12 at the Wayback Machine.
Images of Saint Agnes Hospital