St. Aloysius' College (Galle)
|St. Aloysius' College (Galle)|
|Type||Started as a Private Catholic, Currently State Run|
|Motto||Latin: Certa Viriliter
|Principal||Mr. Ranjith thilakarathna|
|Number of students||4000|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold
St. Aloysius' College is a leading High School for boys located in Galle, the capital city of Southern Province in Sri Lanka. The school was established in 1895 by recently arrived Belgian Jesuit missionaries, led by fr:Joseph Van Reeth, first bishop of Galle. St. Aloysius' College is a national school, which provides primary and secondary education. In 2012 it has 4000 students on its roll.
St. Aloysius' College is situated on Mount Calvery, neighbouring St. Mary's Cathedral on one side and Sacred Heart Convent on the other. The college was established in 1895 by Belgian Jesuit fathers and was named after the Jesuit Saint, Saint Aloysius Gonzaga (born on 9 March 1568). Saint Aloysius' is regarded as the 'Patron Saint of the Youth' by the Jesuits because of the heroic acts that he had performed when he was a young Jesuit helping Plague victims in Rome, Italy in 1587. After a few years helping plague victims, young Saint Aloysius died on 21 June 1591 at the age of 23 when he himself contracted the disease. St. Aloysius' College, Galle, is one of many schools named after Saint Aloysius, and many exist all around the world including schools in Glasgow-Scotland, Sydney-Australia, Bangalore-India, Malta, London-England etc.(See List).
Until the Sri Lankan government brought legislation for nationalisation of schools in the island (with an exception of only a few schools), St. Aloysius' College was run by Jesuit Fathers and the medium of instruction was English. The first Buddhist Principal was appointed in the year 1971 and subsequently the medium of instruction was changed to Sinhala.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2013)|
The college today provides education to 4000 students from grade 1 to grade 13 and it is regarded as one of the leading boys' schools in the Southern Province of Sri Lanka. The students of the school fall into diverse religious groups where over 90 percent of students are Buddhists and the others are Christian (or Catholic) and Muslism. The school has earned its reputation in the areas of academic excellence as well as in sports.
College Crest's Elements
Center:IHS - Name of Jesus (Iesous)
1.Elephant – Strength
2.Lilies – Purity
3.Torch – Light
4.Rooster – Symbol of Galle
Students represent five houses that are named after Jesuit Fathers who were pioneers in developing the school in its early days. Students are divide in to houses according to their admission number.
- Vanreeth -
Sport is a major part of St.Aloysius College, with over 21 different sports played. Taking center stage of the annual sporting calendar are the St.Aloysius-Rahula (Big Match), Richmond College vs. St. Aloysius' College Annual Rugby Big Match. Other sports played at St.Aloysius include;
- Rifle Shooting
Clubs and societies
List of Clubs and Associations in SAC|List of Clubs and Associations of Saint Aloysius College.
- General knowledge society
- New Inventer's Society
|1910 – 1921||Rev. Fr. Dionysius Murphy S.J|
|1921 – 1925||Rev. Fr. John Delaney S.J|
|1925 – 1949||Rev. Fr. Ernest Gaspard S.J|
|1949 – 1962||Rev. Fr. Paul N. Peiris S.J|
|1963 – 1968||Rev. Fr. Caspersz S.J|
|1968 – 1970||Rev. Fr. Stephen Fernando S.J (Acting)|
|1970 – 1971||Rev. Fr. Caspersz S.J|
|13 June 1971 – 1 April 1972||Mr B.K. Silva|
|1 April 1972 – 28 February 1973||Mr Dunstan Fernando|
|28 February 1973 – 3 August 1973||Mr J.B. Varnakulasingham (Acting)|
|3 August 1973 – 22 December 1975||Mr L.D.P. Jayasinghe|
|22 December 1975 – 25 May 1976||Mr A.B.J.L. Fernando (Acting)|
|25 May 1976 – 7 January 1987||Mr D.Y. Wijewickrama|
|7 January 1987 – 1996||Mr A.V. Illeperuma|
|1996 – 2004||Mr N.K. Ariyawansa|
|2004 –2004||Mr. Nandasena Pathirana (Acting)|
|2004 – 2014||Mr D.P.L.S. Gunasekara|
|2014 - 2014||Mr. Piyasiri (Acting)|
|2014 to present||Mr. Ranjith Thilakarathne|
Old Boys' Associations (OBA's)
There are a few branches of OBA's located all around the world.
- Old Boys' Association - Galle - Parent Body
- Old Boys' Association - Colombo Branch
- Old Boys' Association - Melbourne
- Old Boys' Association - London
- Old Boys' Association - New Zealand
- Ediriweera Sarachchandra - Playwright, novelist, poet and literary critic
- Cyril Ponnamperuma - Scientist ( subject: Molecular evolution ) in Exobiology Division at NASA's Ames Research Center
- Felix(FN) Ponnamperuma - Scientist (subject: Chemistry of Submerged Soils), International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Banos, Philippines
- Lakshman (George) Ponnamperuma - Chairman/Director, Ceylon Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research (CISIR)
- Senani Ponnamperuma - Author (The Story of Sigiriya isbn=978-0987345141, isbn=978-0987345110)
- R I T Alles - Prominent Educationist, Founder of D. S. Senanayake College ( Colombo,Sri Lanka)
- Deshamanya N. U. Jayawardena - Economist, former Governor of the Central Bank of Ceylon
- A.C. Alles - Former Judge of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka
- Shantha Kottegoda - Former Army Commander of Sri Lanka
- Lalith Gamage - President, Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology
- Tilak Priyadarshana, D. G. - Professor and the Dean, Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences & Technology, University of Ruhuna, Sir Lanka
- Gihan Wikramanayake - Director, University of Colombo School of Computing
- G. Morrel Fonseka - Professor and Senior Lecturer in Geophysics, Open University of Sri Lanka and former President of the Geological Society of Sri Lanka (GSSL)
- D. V. J. Harischandra - Consultant Psychiatrist
- Michael Roberts - Rhodes Scholar
- Gaya de Silva - Deputy Inspector General, Sri Lanka Police
- Matarage Sirisena Amarasiri - Former Chief Minister, Uva Province
- Feisal Junaid - Former Ambassador of Sri Lanka to Pakistan, Iraq, Bangaladesh
- Chandima Weerakkody- Deputy Speaker of current parliament in Sri Lanka.
- Sunil Santha - composer, singer and lyricist. He was pivotal in the development of Sinhala music and folk songs in the mid to late 1940s and early 1950s. He composed the beloved soundtracks to Lester James Peries' Rekava and Sandesaya in 1956 and 1960.
- Granville Dharmawardena - Professor of Dept of Physics, UoC and former the Chairman of the Atomic Energy Authority (AEA) from 1979 to 1989 and as the Director of the Radioisotope Center.
- Ariyaseela Wickramanayke - Director of Master Drivers and Mawbima Lanka Foundation
- Dilith Jayaweera - Chairman - George Steuart Group,
Director - Citrus Leisure PLC, Colombo Land and Development PLC,Jt. Managing Director - Triad (Pvt) Ltd
- Jesuit Day on Wednesday 5 November 2008 organised by OBA Galle
- Annual Dinner Dance: South of the Border organised by OBA Colombo on 29 November '08 at Hotel Galadari, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- OBA Colombo AGM at Hotel Sapphire, Wellawatta on 5 October 2008
- St.Aloysius' Ambulance Cadet Division Celebrates 75th Anniversary 5 October 2008
- Big Match Starting March 2011