St. Andrew Memorial Church (South Bound Brook, New Jersey)
|St. Andrew Memorial Church|
|Affiliation||Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA|
|Location||Main St, S. Bound Brook, New Jersey 08880|
St. Andrew Memorial Church (Ukrainian: Церква-пам'ятник святого Андрія Первозванного) is a Ukrainian Orthodox cathedral on Main Street, in South Bound Brook, New Jersey, United States. It is the mother church of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA.
The idea for a memorial church is credited to Archbishop Mstyslav (Skrypnyk), later Metropolitan, who had lamented in 1942 how many churches and cemeteries, and thus Ukraine's cultural and political leaders, had been destroyed under the Soviets. In 1950, work on his vision began with the acquisition of land in Somerset County. He engaged Ukrainian-Canadian architect George Kodak, who took inspiration from St Andrew's Church, Kiev. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place on July 21, 1955. The cemetery received its first burial in 1964, the Ukrainian sculptor Serhiy Lytvynenko, and the church was dedicated on October 10, 1965.
The structure is a notable example of Ukrainian Baroque Cossack architecture. Later contributions to the interior ornamentation include mosaics and icons by Petro Cholodny and woodcarving by Andreas Darahan. It is the focus of the Ukrainian Orthodox Center, whose 100-acre campus includes a cemetery, seminary, library, museum, and other facilities.
The church and cemetery are the site of an annual pilgrimage on the Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle in support and memory of the Ukrainian Orthodox innocent who perished in the Holodomor, the Chernobyl disaster, and in various conflicts.
St. Andrew Cemetery
- Mstyslav (Skrypnyk), first Patriarch of Kyiv and all Ukraine
- Pyotr Grigorenko (1907–1987), one of the founders of the human rights movement in the Soviet Union
- Taras Borovets (1908-1981), Ukrainian resistance leader active during the Second World War.
- "St. Andrew's Memorial Church: monument to famine victims", The Ukrainian Weekly, March 20, 1983, retrieved November 23, 2016
- Hadzewycz, Roma Sochan (March 27, 1983), "St. Andrew's Memorial Church: Monument to Ukrainian Martyrs", The Ukrainian Weekly, p. 8
- "Thousands participate in pilgrimage of the UOC-U.S.A.", The Ukrainian Weekly, May 8, 2015, retrieved November 23, 2016
- "Metropolitan Vasyl' Lypkivsky gets a bath", The Ukrainian History and Education center, July 25, 2015, retrieved July 25, 2022