Saint Anthony Main
Saint Anthony Main refers to an area of buildings with multiple owners located on Main Street across from St Anthony falls in the Nicollet Island/East Bank neighborhood of Southeast Minneapolis in the U.S. state of Minnesota. Commonly the area is associated with Northeast, Minneapolis as it is actually northeast of downtown on the east side of the Mississippi River. It opened as a festival marketplace in the 1980s.
The area underwent a resurgence during the condominium boom in the early 2000s with several condo projects built in and around the area. It is now home to a movie theater, four bars and restaurants, a small cafe, and a Segway tour operator.
Buildings and Sights
Saint Anthony Main sits on the other side of Central Avenue from Riverplace, a housing and office complex. It fronts the river at Saint Anthony Falls, the only waterfall on the Mississippi River, and sits next to the Hennepin Island Hydroelectric Plant, host of the Water Power Park, which opened in Spring 2007.
Some of the buildings in the area date from the 1850s when the Village of Saint Anthony on the northeast side of the Mississippi River was still separate from Minneapolis itself. Several are contributing properties to the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District:
- Pracna Building, 117 Main Street SE (1890, now Pracna on Main)
- Salisbury & Satterlee Company Complex, 201-205 and 219 Main Street SE (1885, now Vic's Dining and Tuggs)
- Upton Block/ Union Iron Works, 129 Main Street SE (1855)
- Martin and Morrison Block, 127-129 Main Street SE (1858)
There are newer buildings in the area such as Phoenix on the River and the Mill and Main apartments and the Stone Arch Apartments complexes. The Pillsbury A Mill was renovated and converted into new apartments including the A-Mill Artist lofts.
- "Ambitious makeovers for local moviehouses". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "@work: Leading the Segway charge". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Water Power Park opens to the public — without the public | Bridgeland News". www.bridgelandnews.org. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "A Minnesota Sampler: National Register of Historic Places". Minnesota Historical Society. Retrieved 2008-03-27.
- "Downtown condo sales eat away at supply". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Doran Cos. Mill & Main apartments open 70 percent leased - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal". Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Construction Completes at Stone Arch Apartments II - CoStar Group". www.costar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- "Converting Mill Space into Affordable Housing in the Twin Cities - Urban Land Magazine". Urban Land Magazine. 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2016-06-17.
- Saint Anthony Main website
- Photographs of area around Saint Anthony Main, from About.com
- Sold Down the River Article on Riverfront Development