St. Benedict's Catholic Church (Honaunau, Hawaii)
St. Benedict's Catholic Church
Hawai`i Register of Historic Places
Saint Benedict's Catholic Church
|Architect||Velghe, Fr. John Berchmans|
|NRHP reference #||79000753|
|HRHP #||10 47 7230|
|Added to NRHP||May 31, 1979|
|Designated HRHP||March 27, 1979|
Saint Benedict's Catholic Church (also called simply The Painted Church) is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church in Honaunau, Hawaii. It was built between 1899-1902 under the direction of the Belgian Catholic missionary Father John Velghe, who then painted frescoes along the interior ceiling and walls. An untrained folk-artist, Fr. Velghe depicted various biblical scenes, such as Cain's murder of Abel, Jesus refusing the Devil, and the writing on the wall, as well as a vivid illustration of sinners in Hell. While the building itself is small and rectangular, Fr. Velghe painted Gothic vaults above the altar, creating the illusion of a European Gothic cathedral, inspired particularly by Burgos Cathedral. Several other priests learned from Velghe and went on to establish other 'painted churches', including Star of the Sea Painted Church, painted by Father Evarist Gielen.
St. Benedict's continues to be an active Roman Catholic church in the Diocese of Honolulu, vicariate of West Hawaii, holding five masses per week. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is open to the public for viewing seven days a week.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- National and State Register of Historic Places. Hawai'i Department of Land and Natural Resources. 2014-12-05.
- Williams, Peter (June 27, 2000). Houses of God: Region, Religion, and Architecture in the United States. University Of Illinois Press. p. 284. ISBN 9780252069178.
- Mulholland, John (June 10, 1970). Hawaii's Religions. Tuttle Publishing. p. 313. ISBN 9781462912537.
- Saint Benedict Church Parish Details. Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu. Accessed 2015-1-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Benedict's Catholic Church (Honaunau, Hawaii).|
|This article about a Catholic Church in the United States church building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Hawaii is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Hawaii on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|