St. Catharines railway station
|Location||5 Great Western Street|
St. Catharines, Ontario
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Bicycle facilities||Covered bicycle rack|
|Station code||Via Rail: SCAT|
GO Transit: CAGO
|Fare zone||83 (GO Transit)|
|Official name||VIA Rail Station|
St. Catharines station is a railway station in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. It is served by the Maple Leaf train between Toronto and New York City and by GO Transit's Lakeshore West line between Toronto and Niagara Falls. The station is a designated Heritage Railway Station.
The single level pavilion-style station was built and opened in 1917 by the Grand Trunk Railway and acquired by CN Rail in 1923 who used it for passenger service. Via Rail gained ownership in 1986 It is the third station to be built on the site, first in 1853 by Great Western Railway and then 1898 by Grand Trunk. It was renovated in 1988 and 1994, but neither changed the appearance of the structure.
The station was formerly staffed by Via Rail, but the ticket agent was replaced by an automated kiosk in October 2012. A similar station was also built in Berlin, New Hampshire around the same time in 1917.
The Maple Leaf is a joint Amtrak–Via Rail service: ticketing is shared, and trains consist of Amtrak equipment but are operated on the Toronto–Niagara Falls portion of the route by Via crews. The station was formerly served by additional Via trains operating as part of Corridor services, but these were discontinued in 2012. The station is wheelchair-accessible (since 1988), and offers free parking.
The Lakeshore West line is a commuter rail service in Southern Ontario. St. Catharines is served by one Toronto-bound trip in the morning and one return trip in the afternoon each weekday. Additional trains reach the station on summer weekends and holidays.
- "The Directory of Designated Heritage Railway Stations in Ontario". Directory of Designated Heritage Railway Stations in Ontario. Parks Canada. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- Anne M. de Fort-Menares. "St. Catharines, Ontario". Railway Station Report. Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- St. Catharines Standard:Last commuter train to St. Catharines
- Media related to St. Catharines railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Via Rail station page for St. Catharines railway station
- GO Transit station page for St. Catharines railway station