St. Charles Towne Center
|Location||Waldorf, Maryland, USA|
|Address||11110 Mall Circle|
|Management||Simon Property Group|
|Owner||Simon Property Group|
|No. of stores and services||130+ |
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||981,000 sq ft (91,100 m2)|
|No. of floors||2|
|Website||St. Charles Towne Center|
St. Charles Towne Center is a two-level, enclosed shopping in the planned community of St. Charles, Maryland. Built in 1988, it covers an area of 981,000 sq ft (91,100 m2), and is currently the only regional mall in Southern Maryland. In addition to Waldorf and St. Charles, the mall also serves the southern suburbs of Washington, D.C., and has a trade area population of approximately 311,000.
The mall opened in 1988 with J. C. Penney, Hecht's, Montgomery Ward, and Sears. It was built by Melvin Simon & Associates, now known as Simon Property Group. Kohl's was added in 1997. The Montgomery Ward store was split between a second Hecht's location and Dick's Sporting Goods in 2002. Both Hecht's stores became Macy's in 2006. Also, there is a movie theatre outside of the mall which was formerly known as Cineplex Odeon Cinemas (1988-1998), Loews Cineplex Entertainment (1998-2005), and is now AMC Theatres (2005 - present).
In 2007, St. Charles Towne Center underwent an extensive renovation to shift its image to a more family-oriented mall. The entrances and inside of the mall were redesigned, and the washrooms made larger to allow easier access for families with young children. In addition, a kid's play area was added to a section of the mall. It took only two years to renovate the mall from 2007 - 2008.  The food court was also renovated during the project.
2008 Shooting Incident
In September 2008, an incident occurred in which a police officer's firearm was used in the mall's parking lot. According to local authorities, the suspect was seen trying to steal a GPS device from a vehicle when the officer noticed him. The suspect was treated and released from the hospital, and later charged.
- "St. Charles Towne Center". Simon Property Group. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "St. Charles Towne Center" (PDF). Simon Property Group.
- http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=WT&p_theme=wt&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB0EEB990640B0A&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM. Missing or empty
- Spinner, Jackie (1996-09-01). "In Charles County, All Roads Lead to the Mall; Waldorf's Bustling Towne Center Has Become Area's Social, Entertainment 'Mecca'".
- "Hecht's to Open Home Store in Wards Site". 2002-07-21.
- Rucker, Philip (2007-04-13). "Kid-Friendly Face-Lift For St. Charles Center". The Washington Post.
- "Police Involved Shooting at Waldorf Mall". The Bay Net. 2008-09-23.
- St. Charles Towne Center Official site