St. Christopher's School, Harare
|St. Christopher's School|
St. Christopher's School Logo
2 Tonbridge Way, New Alexandra Park|
|Type||Independent, day, high school|
|Oversight||St. Christopher's Trust|
|Forms||1–6, Sixth Form|
|Student to teacher ratio||12:1|
St. Christopher's School is an independent, co-educational, day, high school in New Alexandra Park, a suburb in Harare, Zimbabwe. The institution, founded in 2010, is owned and governed by St. Christopher's Trust. The school caters for children with learning challenges (such as ADHD and dyslexia).
St. Christopher's School is a member of the Association of Trust Schools (ATS) and the Headmaster is a member of Conference of Heads of Independent Schools in Zimbabwe (CHISZ).
In 2008, a group of parents joined together to discuss the possibility of setting up an alternative school for their children. Each of these children had faced their own challenges during primary school and their parents felt that they would benefit from a "smaller, more intimate and less pressurised" learning environment.
Initially, the school started off in a house on Harry Pichanick Road, New Alexandra Park, transforming bedrooms and living rooms into classrooms, a staff room and an administration office. The school then moved to its present site. In 2009, the school accepted its first class of eight students. At first, the policy was to keep its class size at ten pupils maximum but due to demand determined by entrance examinations for Form One, the school increased its class size to twelve pupils.
Pupils from Form 1 to Upper 6 are taught in classes of no more than 12 children. The IGCSE, AS Level and A Level syllabuses developed and examined by Cambridge International Examinations are followed in all subjects with much greater attention given to detail and individual differences, needs and abilities.
The subjects offered are:
- Digital Media
- Dynamic Arts
- English Language
- English Literature
- Life Skills
- Physical Education
- Design and Technology
- Digital Media and Design
All of the students are fully integrated into the sporting programme offered by the Hellenic Academy. Many of the students are also involved in additional sports, such as motor-cross, rowing, horse riding and triathlon.
- "ATS CHISZ ST. CHRISTOPHER'S SCHOOL » » Schools Directory". ATS CHISZ. ATS CHISZ. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Home". St. Christopher’s School. St. Christopher’s School. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "About Us". St. Christopher’s School. St. Christopher’s School. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "ATS CHISZ Senior » » Schools Directory". ATS CHISZ. ATS CHISZ. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "School History". St. Christopher’s School. St. Christopher’s School. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Subjects Offered". St. Christopher's School. St. Christopher's School. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Sporting Activities". St. Christopher’s School. St. Christopher’s School. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Official website
- St. Christopher's School profile on the ATS website
- St. Christopher's School Zimbabwe on Facebook