St. Fintan's Cemetery, Sutton
St. Fintan's cemetery
Carrickbrack Road, Sutton, Dublin
|Owned by||St. Fintan's Parish|
|No. of graves||1,400+|
|Find a Grave||St. Fintan's Cemetery, Sutton|
St. Fintan's Cemetery is located in Sutton, on the south side of Carrickbrack Road in Dublin, Ireland. It is in two parts: one older, with a ruined keeper's cottage and the remnants of old St. Fintan's Church; one newer, and actively used, lower down the hill. Just beyond the older portion is the still-flowing, still-visited St. Fintan's Holy Well.Its maintained by a lovely old gentleman called Frank Smith
Notable people buried in St. Fintan's cemetery
- Frank Cahill , Irish nationalist, teacher and politician
- Pádraic Colum and Mary Colum, writers
- Hilton Edwards, director, buried with Micheál Mac Liammhóir
- Gerald FizGibbon, judge.
- Charles Haughey, former Taoiseach of Ireland who was buried here following a State funeral on Bloomsday, June 16, 2006
- Dr. Patrick Hillery, 6th President of Ireland, buried April 16, 2008
- John Hunt, antiquarian
- Mainie Jellett, artist
- Seán Dublin Bay Rockall Loftus, Irish politician, lawyer, and environmentalist
- Phil Lynott, iconic rock musician, formerly of the band Thin Lizzy
- John Mahaffy, scholar
- Micheál Mac Liammóir, author and playwright
- Ray McAnally, actor
- Christopher Nolan, author, buried February 24, 2009
- William Stokes, physician
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission registers and maintains two graves of British service officers of World War II, one of the Royal Air Force (in the old ground) and another of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (in the newer extension).
- Stardust fire, Victims of the nightclub fire in 1981.
- Leen, Brendan. "Cregan Library, Padraic Colum". Archived from the original on 16 July 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Dictionary of National Biography 1912 Supplement p.31
- "Haughey laid to rest after sombre State funeral". The Irish Times. 16 June 2006. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "Hillery laid to rest after State funeral". RTÉ News. 16 April 2008. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Graham, Bill (9 August 2006). "Phil Lynott: an epitaph". Hot Press. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mahaffy&GSiman=1&GScid=639641&GRid=71998937&. Retrieved 14 January 2015. Missing or empty
- "Dublin Cemeteries". Archived from the original on 4 November 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mcanally&GSiman=1&GScid=639641&GRid=83506982&. Retrieved 14 January 2015. Missing or empty
- McGarry, Patsy (24 February 2009). "Christy Nolan's remains taken to Sutton church". The Irish Times. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
-  CWGC Cemetery Report. Details from casualty record.
|This geographical article about the Dublin area is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a cemetery in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|