St. Francis High School (Wheaton, Illinois)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|St. Francis High School|
2130 West Roosevelt Road
|Motto||A Community in which Minds and Spirits Thrive|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Dr. Betsy Ackerson|
|Average class size||15-28 students|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Metro Suburban Conference|
|Tuition||$11,500 (2016-2017) |
St. Francis High School, also known as St. Francis or SFHS amongst its students and faculty, is a co-educational, college preparatory, Roman Catholic secondary school located in Wheaton, Illinois and was founded in 1957 by the Christian Brothers, Franciscan Sisters, and Ladies of Loretto (Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary). It is currently operated by an independent Board of Directors. St. Francis strives to prepare its students for college, and thus sets high academic standards. The school has an enrollment of 800 students.
- Full year and semester course offerings: 117
- Honors courses: 34
- Advanced Placement courses: 15
- 16% of last years’ students scored 5
- Mobile Learning Initiative: All students use the Microsoft Surface Pro
- Interactive Projectors in 70% of our classrooms
- Trips to France and Spain
- Chinese Language Courses
Pastoral Ministry at St. Francis High School is inspired by the ideals and words of our patron, St. Francis of Assisi, “for it is in giving that we receive” and seeks to foster the personal and spiritual growth of each person in the school community. It is a ministry to, for, by, and with young people, as well as the entire community —faculty, staff, parents, families and alumni. St. Francis High School shares the vision to live every day in the presence of Jesus Christ. Being a Roman Catholic School it is very keen in the school's attempt to provide understanding for their religious community.
Pastoral Ministry provides opportunities for prayer and worship, retreats, justice and service, ministry leadership formation, pastoral care, and community building.
More than 30 special interest clubs and activities
- 12 female and 12 male multi-level sports programs.
- Full schedule of performing and visual arts including theatre, art, instrumental and vocal music
- Sixth Place Division 2A State Math Team
- First Place DuPage County and Third Place Overall for the Evergreen Club in the Northeastern Illinois Envirothon
- IHSA State Series Achievements 2014-2015: First Place Girls’ Volleyball, Football Semi-Finals, Third Place Baseball, Girls’ Soccer Regional Championship
- 12 State Championships in Girls’ Volleyball
- 2008 State 5A Championship in Football
- 2012 State Championship in Girls’ Soccer
- Past regional and sectional IHSA championships in Boys' Cross Country, Girls Tennis, Boys Tennis, Baseball, Softball, Boys’ Basketball, Boys’ Soccer, Football, Track, Dance, Cheer, Math Team, Boys’ and Girls’ Volleyball, and Boys' and Girls' Golf
- 63% of students participate in the performing arts
- 65% of students participate in the athletic programs
- 98% of students participate in co-curricular activities
- Member of the Chicago Catholic League (CCL) and the Girls Catholic Athletic Conference (GCAC)
- John Cullerton is a politician and current president of the Illinois State Senate (2009–present).
- Kelsey Robinson, is a volleyball player, Bronze Medalist at Rio 2016 Olympics with US Women's team.
- Eric Stout, b. 1993 pitcher for the Kansas City Royals
- John Vande Velde, is an American track cyclist, who competed at the 1968 Summer Olympics and 1972 Summer Olympics.
- Sheridan, Danny (19 January 2010), "St. Francis", Chicago Sun-Times, archived from the original on January 23, 2010, retrieved 20 January 2010