St. Francis Institute of Technology
|Principal||Dr. Sincy George|
|Director||Br. Tom Melchior|
|Campus||Urban, 5 acres|
St. Francis Institute of Technology (SFIT) in Mumbai, India is an engineering college named after Francis of Assisi, the 12th-century Italian saint. The college is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, approved by the AICTE and is affiliated to University of Mumbai.
The college is run by the Society of Franciscan brothers, with a special consideration to Roman Catholic students. It offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral courses in Engineering. It is the first Catholic technical institute in India to acquire Minority Status.
- 1 Invocation
- 2 Courses
- 3 Campus
- 4 Annual extracurricular events
- 5 Student chapters
- 5.1 The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 5.2 Computer Society of India Wing
- 5.3 Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering(IETE)
- 5.4 Information Technology Students Association (ITSA)
- 5.5 SFIT E-Cell
- 5.6 SFIT Social Responsibility Cell
- 5.7 National Service Scheme(NSS) Unit
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
O Divine Master,
|— Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace|
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a BE degree.
- B. E. (Electronics And Telecommunication)
- B. E. (Computer Engineering)
- B. E. (Information Technology)
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a ME degree.
- M. E. (Computer Engineering)
- M. E. (Electronics and Telecommunication Engg)
Ph.D(Technology) Degree courses
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a PhD degree.
- Ph.D (Computer Engineering)
- Ph.D (Electronics and Telecommunication Engg)
The SFIT campus is in IC Colony, Borivali, spread over 5 acres (20,000 m2) of land in the western suburbs of Mumbai. It has a ample of open saces as well as lush greenery. The institute has open access library, gymkhana with a table tennis room, carrom room and a chess room. There are facilities for outdoor games like throwball, football, basketball, volleyball and badminton.
The SFIT B-wing is currently under-construction to the East of current building(A-wing).
Annual extracurricular events
- IRIS: Cultural festival
- IGNITRA: Intercollegiate Sports Meet.
- MOSAIC: Technical festival
- SYNERGY: Institutional fair
- LAUNCHPAD: Professional talent hunt
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Formed by Ms Joanne Gomes in 2006, the IEEE branch was known as the IEEE Student Activity Center and was at the forefront of quality technical activities in SFIT. Over the years a loss in member numbers reduced the growth of the organization to a crawl. In 2011, under the guidance of Dr T S Rathore, the IEEE was rejuvenated. Mr Savio Saldanha, with help of the Dept of EXTC, was the driving force behind the National Seminar on 'Recent Developments in Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing – 2011' (RDCSSP'11). He is credited with the composition and commissioning of the Constitution of the IEEE SFIT Student Branch, a first in SFIT. He was also responsible for re-establishing contact with the IEEE Bombay Section and restructuring the entire IEEE SFIT establishment into its current form. Mr Savio Saldanha commissioned the creation of a website for the ISSB, the first technical society in SFIT to have its own website, developed by Ms Rima D'Sa and Ms Shanu Salunke. Other events include:
- National Seminar RDCSSP'11
- Industrial Visit to Western Railways TMS Mumbai
- Workshops on Fuel Conservation by PCRA (GOI), Matlab Simulink, Ethical Hacking
- Seminars on Software Excellence
- Mega industrial visit to North India
Computer Society of India Wing
This was formed in 2004.
- Workshop on OpenGL and 4D graphics by Mr. Abhijit Maharana
- Seminar on Enterprise Resource Planning by Mr. H.R. Shenoi (L & T)
- Java by Mr. Jinesh Vazir
- Industrial visit to Tarapur Atomic Power Station.
In 2008–09, the SFIT chapter had 92 registrations and hence has been converted to a CSI chapter. CSI SFIT is now 63rd CSI Chapter in the country
Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering(IETE)
Formed in 2003–04. Activities:
- Lecture on Digital Image Processing by Prof. P.K. Menon (IIT)
- an animated film on internet technology was shown to the students.
- Seminar on ‘Current developments in optical fibres' by Mr. R.K. Bahuguna, Regional G.M. of Western Railways.
The IETE SFIT student chapter organized an IIT-B initiated self workshop and spoken tutorial on LINUX, PHP, PYTHON, LATEX and SCILAB software in February 2012. Online tests will be conducted following the spoken tutorials and certificates will be awarded by IIT-Bombay. The software workshop was open to students from all streams and years.
ITSA was formed in march, 2012 under the guidance of Prof. Pramod Shanbhag with the objective to Inspire, Enable, Empower and Energize and provide state-of-art technological knowledge to the students of Department of information technology.
- Seminar on Gaming by Mr. Karan Sequeira.
- Workshop on Node JS by Tech coder.
- Workshop on Ethical hacking conducted by SKYNET SECURE.
- Workshop on Web application development.
- Visit to APAR games industry.
The Entrepreneurship Cell (E-Cell) of the college was initiated in the year 2012. It promotes Entrepreneurship among Student's as well as Strongly Supports Student's who wish to take their Idea's to the Next Level. Various startups have been founded by the students from the college under the guidance of E-Cell. The cell has Dr. Vikram Shete functioning as its mentor.
SFIT Social Responsibility Cell
The Social Responsibility Cell of the college was founded in year 2015 with an aim to expand its social welfare activities which were previously conducted under the 'Angels Club'. The cell is headed by Mr. Paul Fernandes.
National Service Scheme(NSS) Unit
The college has an active NSS unit of its own since the year 2015. The unit comes under the University of Mumbai NSS-Unit.
- "institute information". DTE. Retrieved 2012-10-11.