St. George & St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church (Jersey City, New Jersey)
|St. George & St. Shenouda Coptic Church|
|Country||United States of America|
|Denomination||Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of North America, under the Pope of Alexandria|
|Division||Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate|
|Bishop(s)||HH Pope Theodoros II|
|Priest(s)||Fr. David Bebawy
Fr. Makarius Sawirus
Fr. Anthony Basily
Fr. Thomas Nashed
Fr. David Habib
Fr. John Ibrahim
St George & St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church (Coptic: Ϯⲉⲕ'ⲕⲗⲏⲥⲓⲁ ⳿ⲛⲣⲉⲙ⳿ⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ ⳿ⲛⲟⲣⲑⲟⲇⲟⲝⲟⲥ ⲫⲏⲉⲑⲟⲩⲁⲃ Ⲅⲉ⳿ⲱⲣⲅⲓⲟⲥ ⲛⲉⲙ ⲫⲏⲉⲑⲟⲩⲁⲃ Ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩϯ // transliteration: ti.eklyseya en.remenkimi en.orthodoxos ente fi.ethowab Gewargios nem fi.ethowab shenouty) is the second Coptic Orthodox church that was established in Jersey City, New Jersey. It is one of over 200 Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States.
Coptic Orthodox Christians, who adhere to an ancient Christian faith rooted in Egypt in the first century, have established a stronghold throughout New Jersey over the last several decades. The first Coptic Orthodox Church in the United States was St. Mark’s in Jersey City, which was founded in 1970 by Egyptian immigrants, and the congregations have since grown in allowing 15 other parishes in New Jersey alone, including St. Mark's Church in the same region of Jersey City.
The large influx of Copts in New Jersey can be attributed to their persecution in Egypt, in addition to those who emigrate seeking education and financial opportunities. Currently, there are more than 30,000 Copts in Jersey City specifically. St. George & St. Shenouda Church was first founded in 1973, although the actual date of incorporation was January 1974.
- Fr. David Bebawy - (201) 332-8369
- Fr. Makarius Sawirus - (201) 332-8369
- Fr. Anthony Basily - (201) 332-8369
- Fr. Thomas Nashed - (201) 332-8369
- Fr. David Habib - (201) 332-8369
- Fr. John Ibrahim - (201) 332-8369
The year 1977 marked the first pastoral visit by HH Pope Shenouda III to the US and Canada, including both of Jersey City's two oldest churches (the only ones at the time). There are currently about 1500 Coptic families served by St. George & St. Shenouda Church alone with several others belonging to different church congregations throughout northern New Jersey in particular.
- Coptic Orthodox Church
- Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
- Coptic architecture
- Coptic Cairo
- Coptic Orthodox Church in North America
- Coptic Orthodox Church in Canada
- Coptic Orthodox Church in the United States
- List of Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States
- Dates of Incorporations of Coptic Orthodox Churches in North America (Retrieved 08-07-2008)
- "Coptic Church Urges Thorough Investigation In Murder of Jersey City Family". Coptic Church Network, January 20, 2005. Accessed August 11, 2008.
- CNEWA:The Coptic Orthodox Church (Retrieved 17-07-2008)
- NY Times:Where Church Pews Replaced the Bar Stools (Retrieved 08-05-2008)
- Elliott, Andrea. "A Bloody Crime in New Jersey Divides Egyptians", The New York Times, January 21, 2005. Accessed August 5, 2008.
- Church Data (retrieved 08-11-2008)
- Keraza Newspaper Dated 09-15-2006 (Retrieved 08-05-2008)
- The official website of St. George & St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church
- The Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America
- Directory & Statistics on Coptic Orthodox Churches in North America