St. John Township, Lake County, Indiana
St. John Township
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||39.37 sq mi (102.0 km2)|
|• Land||39.2 sq mi (102 km2)|
|• Water||0.17 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||679 ft (207 m)|
|• Density||1,702.6/sq mi (657.4/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453819|
St. John Township was established in 1848. It was named for John Hack, the first German settler.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 39.37 square miles (102.0 km2), of which 39.2 square miles (102 km2) (or 99.57%) is land and 0.17 square miles (0.44 km2) (or 0.43%) is water.
The racial makeup of the township is 82.1% non-Hispanic White, 11.3% Hispanic, 2.73% African American, 2.23% Asian, 0.58% from other races, and 1.13% from two or more races. The percentages of Hispanic and African American residents are, respectively, 5.4 and 22.6 percent lower than Lake County as a whole.
Native-born citizens make up 91.9% of the population. Naturalized citizens are 5.3% of the population, while 1.9% are not citizens. The top ten countries of birth for foreign-born residents are Mexico, India, Croatia, Poland, Serbia, Greece, Macedonia, Philippines, Germany, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. The most common self-reported ancestries are: German (23.1%), Polish (17%), Irish (15.9%), Mexican (8.72%), Unclassified/Unreported (8.5%), Italian (8.1%), English (7.3%), Dutch (5.6%), American (4.7%), and Serbian (2.8%).
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Howat, William Frederick (1915). A Standard History of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet Region, Volume 1. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 105.
- "St. John Township Trustee". St. John Township Trustee. Retrieved 2 May 2015.
- "Overview of the St. John Township, Lake County, Indiana (Township) - Statistical Atlas". statisticalatlas.com. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
|This Lake County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|