St. John Vianney High School (Kirkwood, Missouri)
|St. John Vianney High School|
|1311 South Kirkwood Road
Kirkwood, Missouri, (St. Louis County) 63122
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Michael E. Loyet '77|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Metro Catholic|
|Team name||Golden Griffins|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Dean of Students||Scott Brown '84|
|Admissions Director||Tom Mulvihill|
|Athletic Director||Terry Cochran|
St. John Vianney High School (a.k.a. Vianney High School, or simply Vianney) is a private, all male, Catholic college preparatoryschool located in Kirkwood, Missouri. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis. The school was founded by the Society of Mary (Marianists), a religious order of priests and brothers who continue to run the school. The Marianists also run a number of other St. Louis area high schools including Chaminade College Preparatory School and St. Mary's High School.
St. John Vianney High School opened in 1960 and has graduated a class every year since that time. In 1999, Vianney received the prestigious award from the federal government's Blue Ribbon Schools Program. Recently, Vianney has undertaken a number of building projects including new classrooms, gymnasium, library, science labs, and new turf football and baseball fields
Vianney sponsors athletic teams in football, soccer, cross country, basketball, swimming, wrestling, baseball, golf, tennis, track and field, volleyball. There are also club teams for outdoor lacrosse, bowling, chess, lacrosse, racquetball and ice hockey.
In 2011 and 2013, the Varsity Chess Team took home first place in the National Championships.
Vianney is a member of the Metro Catholic Conference of private, Catholic high schools. The other members of the conference include:
- De Smet Jesuit High School
- Christian Brothers College High School
- Chaminade College Preparatory School
- St. Louis University High School
Baseball- 2004, 2006
Hockey- 1979, 1996
Soccer- 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1987, 1991, 1992
Volleyball- 1989, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2013
Chess- 2011, 2013
The St. John Vianney High School mascot is the Golden Griffin – half lion and half eagle. The school colors, black and gold, reflect the colors of the Griffin. The school states that the Griffin represents certain virtues in all of its students.
The Griffin represents the virtues of our students: strength, faith, fraternity, and justice. These virtues shine forth from hearts and minds formed by a rigorous academic program, an integrated religious curriculum, and a wide range of extracurricular opportunities. (Vianney HS website)
School fight song
The St. John Vianney High School fight song is often sung at football and basketball games as well as at pep rallies. The lyrics are as follows:
"We are the black and gold of Vianney. We are the Golden Griffins of Vianney High. Half Lion, half Eagle, so the Griffin can roar, so the Griffin can soar above the lightning and the thunder. We will win, win, win, yeah Vianney. Oh hear the din, din, din, of our clamor and cheers. We want the world to be told about the black and the gold of old Vianney, Vianney, Vianney, Hey!" (written by former guidance counselor Brother Harold Lootens).
In 2006, Vianney President Fr. Robert Osborne was accused in a civil lawsuit of sexual misconduct with a student. The Marianist order later settled the lawsuit. Father Osborne was not charged with a crime but was investigated by the Kirkwood Police.
Government and politics
Sports and Entertainment
- Tom Barnidge: editor, The Sporting News
- Matt Cepicky: MLB player (Montreal Expos, Florida Marlins)
- Neil Fiala: MLB player (St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds)
- Trent Green: NFL quarterback
- Joe Holleman: columnist for St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Mark Klose: longtime St. Louis radio personality
- David Klutho: photographer for Sports Illustrated
- Kevin Garthe, 2010, 2011, and 2012 NCAA Picks Competition winner
- Mark Lamping: president, St. Louis Cardinals Major League Baseball Club (2006 World Champions)
- Dan McLaughlin: St. Louis Cardinals radio and television broadcaster
- Cliff Politte: Major League Baseball pitcher
- Nick Schmidt: Major League Baseball pitcher
- Brad Snyder: professional soccer player
- Scott Touzinsky: United States Volleyball Olympian, Outside Hitter, 2008 Beijing Games Gold Medalist
- Erik Ustruck: midfielder, Houston Dynamo
- Tim Dunigan: actor
- Riley Schmidt: actor: American horror story
Arts and Sciences
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, February 24, 2006, C5
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, June 27, 2007, C8
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, October 12, 2006, C1
- Dillon, D. (2005) So Where'd You Go to High School? Vol. 2, Virginia Publishing.
- Adam Piore (2008) Focus Finder, Conde Nast Portfolio.com.